𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭

—cause you make me feel so brand new
and I want to spend my life with you—

chapter 1
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Lizabeth DeWitt Bukater, was a strong willed woman. In some eyes, at least.

A young 17 year old girl, born in luxury — a life everyone dreams of. However, her young years soon were cut off once her father, head of the family, died due to a sickness, leaving her and her mother Ruth in the lowest of lows.

And then her mother found out, that a rich man found her only daughter interesting and asked for a marriage approval. But when Lizabeth looked at him, the only feeling that rushed passed her was utter disgust. He was controlling, manipulative and abusive. 3 traits that she despised the most. Ruth came in, in other feet. Her mother motioned to the man as if he was the saviour of their life.

"His name is Caledon Nathan Hockley. I'm sure you'll love him, just as much as he loves you."

Well, that obviously didn't work out.

After spending some days together, that turned into weeks, which turned into month, Lizabeth couldn't bring herself to love him. And she knew that she'll never will. There was something that just didn't felt right, whenever he touched her.

Finally she felt a thud, as their motor vehicle took a stop. From her side, a hand snaked around her waist, pulling her close to the idiot man, that smiled wryly at her. Cal. "We're here sweet pea. Only a few days before our wedding now."

Lizabeth's face filled with disgust, as she shook off his arms and stepped outside, after being given a hand to help herself. Her black locks fell in front of her eyes, as the girl brushed them behind her ear. Her eyes, as green as a forest, glanced at the shouts as her eyes followed something you'd see once in a lifetime.

A half white half black ship, with thousands of small windows, from down to upright. It was huge, she'd agree. Once she heard Cal leave his seat, the girl noticed the ships name. The man mentioned it, once or twice, also she saw it on every little magazine and newspaper. The newest most largest ship, TITANIC.

"I don't see what all the fuss is about." Lizabeth raised her brow, her body feeling numb. "It's not much bigger than the Mauretania."

"You can be blasé about some things, Lizabeth, but not Titanic." The man put his hand around her again. "It's over 100 feet longer than Mauretania... and far more luxurious."

Well, I don't give a shit. Lizabeth thought. Another woman stepped out, looking like a young granny version of herself.

Oh. Mother.

"Your daughter is far too difficult too impress, Ruth." Cal said, as her mother chuckled. Lizabeth rolled her eyes, still stuck in his grasp.

"So this is the ship they say is unsinkable." Her mother joined them by Cal's side.

"It is unsinkable." Cal confirmed, his dark slicked back hair hid by a hat. "God himself could not sink this ship!"

Someone interjected in their conversation, letting Lizabeth escape from his hold. Her mother sent a glare at her for it. Right now, Lizabeth didn't care. Maybe she will in the future, or won't.

"My coat?" The young blackhead turned to her loyal maid — Trudy. "Yes miss." The older girl came closer and wrapped it around her. Lizabeth took in shaky breaths.

Soon enough, Cal came back as he lead the two females forward a bridge for higher class to pass.

"Honestly Cal, if you weren't forever booking everything at the last instant, we could have gone through the terminal instead of running along the dock like some squalid immigrant family." Ruth joked, as Lizabeth sighed.