Secret Admirer Part 3

Tech stared unblinkingly at you from the door to the medical bay, mind and heart racing.

"H-hi, Tech," you squeaked, trying your best not to let your terror show. You spun back around, facing away from the intelligent clone as you removed one gloved hand from your face and shakily pointed towards your mask, which was resting on the table next to him. "Um... could you, uh, pass me that?"

Tech snapped out of his trance, blinked in confusion, then understood. "Oh! Um, o-of course," he stammered, lunging for your mask. He stuffed it into your hand, and you immediately slipped it over your face. When it was secure, you slowly turned to face him, mentally preparing yourself to be bombarded with questions.

How much had he seen?

"Thank you..." you mumbled, wringing your hands together in front if you.

You both fell silent, your eyes on the floor while Tech's remained solely on you. The room was so quiet that the barely audible creak of your metal legs when you shifted on your heels could be heard.

"How...?" You cleared your throat awkwardly. "How much... did you see?"

Tech opened his mouth to respond, hesitated, then sighed quietly, biting his lip. "My apologies. I had no idea that you weren't wearing your mask. I didn't see your face, I swear."

Your gaze darted up to his face, eye narrowing scrutinizingly. "Don't lie to me, Tech."

Tech dropped his head in shame, gaze glued to the floor. "I'm sorry, Beta, I don't-"

"Don't call me that," you mumbled, voice barely above a whisper.

Tech heard you loud and clear.

"Pardon?"

"Don't call me Beta," you said, a little sterner than you had intended. It was now or never. "It's not my name. Beta was just... a facade. Who I wish I was."

Tech frowned. "Then... what should I call you?"

You scuffed a foot against the ground, suddenly very interested in the floor tiles. "Y/n. Y/n L/n."

"That's a lovely name."

"Thank you..." you muttered, heart racing. You stared at him for a long, stiflingly silent moment, then thought kriff it and shakily reached up to remove your mask. It detached from your face with a hiss, and you dropped it to your side, gripping it so tightly that you swore it would break. For the first time, you met Tech's gaze without the mask blocking your face from view.

You had never been more terrified.

Tech didn't say anything, he just stared for a long moment, taking in your robotic features. After what felt like an eternity, he took a step forward, then another, and another. He continued his slow approach until he stood within arm's reach of you, expressionless. You gulped, preparing for the worst, expecting him to shout or hit you, but nothing happened. He just stared.

"Look, Tech... I'm sorry I lied to you. I just thought that if you knew what I was, you wouldn't want anything to do with me..." After a moment of prolonged eye contact, you lowered you head. "I didn't want to scare you. I'm so-"

You froze when Tech lifted your chin with two fingers, met your gaze...

And smile.

"You're stunning," he whispered breathlessly.

Your eye widened more than you thought possible. What did he just say? "I-I'm sorry, what?"

"You're absolutely breathtaking, Y/n," Tech assured you, louder this time. His face was still lit up with a smile as he pulled his hand away from your face, brushing it over the metal plate that covered your cheek before dropping it to his side.