1

"And what will you do with the oil, Mr. Plainview." Eli said, leaning forward over the table in a sort of dominance over Daniels feigned ignorance.
"Pardon?"
"The oil Mr. Plainview. It seeps from the ground in our land. That is worth something, is it not?"
"Well, I have some connections in the oil business, if the oil is plentiful I will be sure to give you what's due." Daniel rubbed his hands together and stood. He came around the table shaking Mr Sunday's hand, then Eli's, then yours. His palm met yours stiff and dry, like leather, in a firm handshake. Normally the women were not allowed in business conversations, and much less often offered a handshake in respect, but you had made your place in this household as someone intelligent enough to contribute to important matters. A place of respect.
You were not a Sunday. You lived in the house half an acre away, but have been a frequent guest since you were about 7. Your father was a customer of Sunday's goat farm so Eli and Paul and you became friends during your fathers visits. Once your father died the house was empty, your mother had bee a prostitute and left after you were born. To avoid the suppressing silence of the house you spent the majority of your time at the Sunday's. Staying nights, helping with the farm, and caring for Mary in the way a sister would.
"I don't like him, Eli." you said once the wooden door creaked shut. "He seems a greedy man."
"Nor do I, but we are in need. This is not something we can afford to pass on." He said, sighing into his hand. He took grasp of the cross around his neck and whispered a silent blessing on the deal. His father nodded as if he had contributed to the deal in any ways other than signing contracts. With that Eli was off. You followed him into the washroom.
You watched him in silence as he unbuttoned his vest and slid it off, hanging it onto the rack by the door.
"Are you coming to my sermon tomorrow?" He asked. His fingers worked the buttons of his shirt, sliding them between the white cloth and separating the seams letting his skin peaking through. Your eyes followed them, watching him go further and further down admiring him. You looked up hoping he had not noticed your gaze, but he was looking in the mirror studying his own face.
"Yes, I believe the lord and I have.. Some things to work out." you said turning your head and busying your hands with a washcloth. You dipped it into the bucket of water, meant to be a sink, and rubbed the grime off your face.
"Oh?" He said, turning his attention towards you. "May I inquire?"
As the pastor, you felt an obligation to tell him, but you couldn't quite share the sinful things that the Devil had snuck into your mind.
"I'll save it for tomorrow Eli." You said with a nervous laugh.
The two of you finished your washing up and headed to his room. You kneeled next to him to pray then nestled into the cot on the floor while he in his bed. This had been the set up you had spending the night for years.
After a few minutes you heard the sound of a slap and then Mary crying. It made you cringe. It went on for a good few minutes, you considered intervening but you thought it not your place. Eli noticed your discomfort and dropped his hand down from the edge of his bed. You took it and he squeezed your hand for comfort. His skin was soft and uncalloused but his grip firm.
"Why don't you ever stop him Eli." You asked, looking up into the dark of the room. He gave no response.
"She doesn't deserve it, Eli. Tell him to stop." you said deepening your tone. He still gave no response. You sat up, angered at his silence.
"Eli!" You said now facing him. He continued to stare at the ceiling.
"She did not pray, he must get her into the habit of praying before it is the Lord doing the hitting." You stared at him for a second in disbelief in the dimness of the night. He has always put the Lord in everything he does, he would do anything to stay on that path as well as keep his loved ones on it. You laid back down, his hand still dangled from the bed waiting for you but you did not take it.
"Eli?"
"Yes." He said quietly.
"Do you think the Lord would hit me?" you said not so much with hesitancy as frightened curiosity.
"Have you done something to deserve it?"
"I don't know. Maybe I have." You said.
"Well, what might be your sin?"
You thought about your answer, not wanting to tell him.
You could not see it in the dark but you felt him turn to look at you.
"What is it." You did not respond.
"The path to redemption begins in confession, I will not tell anyone but if you want to be forgiven you have to say it."
You had no words for him.
"I need you to say it y/n."
You had it on the tip of your tongue. 'You Eli, I want you.' it was crawling out of your mouth, forming on your lips, but you swallowed it down. Instead you raised your hand and gently brushed your fingers against his. They twitched at your movement, but he did not move away.
"Good night Eli." You said taking your hand away from his. His hand moved with yours in the way one continues to lean after a kiss, but he stopped himself and turned his body from yours.
"Sleep well."