Things Change ≫ Jessy x Female! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: stan cinderpelt

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Some angst

This is a request for Pinestripe37! Please go check them out; they're an amazing person!

****

"Move your tail, (Y/N)! There's still plenty of work to do repairing the nursery!" Molewhisker's irritated command sent ripples of fury up your spine. You grabbed another broken branch from the former den, tossing it behind you with a grunt. Feel free to come and do it yourself if you don't like how I'm doing it, You sneered silently. At least with a mouthful of twigs, you won't be able to complain every five seconds. For the past few moons, you had sensed a growing insufferable distaste toward your clanmates, the senior warriors in particular. They seemed to only mingle with cats who desired to bow down to them, and you felt more pushed aside and forgotten by the second. You were quite certain none of your clanmates felt the same way, since they all seemed happier than ever to assist in any way they possibly could. You clawed a gnarled root up from the muddy ground, carelessly tossing it over your shoulder. I wish I felt the same way.

A dark brown she-cat slipped past you, her red collar jingling as it brushed against the mud-covered ferns. You smiled at her, waving your tail in a friendly greeting. Her name was Jessy, a kittypet Bramblestar had rescued from a flooded twoleg den at the beginning of the storm that had devastated the clans, and she was the closest thing to a friend you had. "Hi," You meowed, abandoning your near-finished repair job and padding over to the kittypet. "How was the hunting patrol?"

She sighed lightly, chuckling to herself. "It definitely could've been better. My collar kept making noise, and Spiderleg blamed me for the mouse he was stalking getting away. I was actually standing perfectly still; he's just terrible at stalking." You snorted, shaking your head in disgust. It was exactly like Spiderleg to blame an innocent cat for his pathetic insecurities. The more you thought about the gangly senior warrior, the more you realized how much you despised the clan you had once loved. Everyone had changed, and since the storm had destroyed everything you'd once known, you hadn't felt like ThunderClan was your home. And you knew for a fact that any of the other three clans would feel just as abysmal.

"I'm sorry about that," You meowed sincerely, fixing Jessy with an understanding stare. "The cats here tend to take everything a little too seriously. Are you okay?"

She blinked, clearly confused. "I'm fine, (Y/N). Are you okay?" She studied you with concern in her amber eyes, her ears flat with worry. You could only imagine what had caught her attention was the tenseness in your shoulders, or the exhaustion on your face, or perhaps it had been the tremble in your voice as you fought back a flood of frustrated tears.

"I-I don't know," You confessed weakly as you placed the last twig in the damaged den roof. Jessy watched you, a concerned frown stretched across her muzzle. "Sometimes I wonder if I really belong here, in ThunderClan. I'm starting to feel like I want to go somewhere— anywhere —but here." Tears we're now flowing down your cheeks, and you wiped them away with a paw to conceal your pain. Jessy sighed sadly, gently nudging you with her shoulder and guiding you away from the wondering eyes of your clanmates.

Once you were out of camp, you both began traveling toward the lake, your pawsteps perfectly in sync. Jessy looked over at you, her amber eyes shining in the late afternoon sun. "I'm sorry you feel that way, (Y/N). I wish there was something I could do."

"Thanks," You mumbled, stepping over a rabbit's burrow. "I wish there was, too. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it." The damp grass turned into warm sand under your paws, and you sighed as the sun touched your back and began to soothe your aching muscles. Jessy caught up to you at the water's edge, and you both sat down and stared out across the still water.

"What if you didn't have to deal with it?" The kittypet meowed suddenly, breaking the evening silence. You blinked tears from your eyes, turning to stare at your friend.

"What do you mean by that?"

Jessy purred with amusement at your confusion. "I mean, you don't have to stay in ThunderClan. You could always leave." She paused, her eyes lighting up with excitement as a new idea popped into her mind. "That's it! (Y/N), you should come be a kittypet with me!" Your jaw fell open, and you quickly clamped it shut again. Leave ThunderClan to be a kittypet? You had only been a warrior for one season. Was it really worth it to throw all your hard work away and become soft and plump in a twoleg nest?

"Whoa, okay," You began, still stunned from the sudden suggestion. "That's a big decision, Jessy. It's not every day a cat just decides to leave their clan and eat kittypet food. I was born in ThunderClan. Leaving isn't that easy."

"I know that," Jessy replied honestly. "I'm just saying that your life would be way easier. Think about it, (Y/N)! No more den repairs, no more struggling to survive in leafbare, no more ridiculous rules, and no more feeling bad about yourself! Kittypets just get to lay around in the sun all day and go wherever they please. There are no borders or unnecessary bloodshed, and you'll never go hungry again. And I promise collars aren't that bad! You'll get used to it really fast!" You fell silent, staring at the ground. She had some good points. Not having the pressures and pains of daily clan life would be nice. All you'd ever have to worry about again was yourself and Jessy. You would always be warm, and you'd only have to hunt if you wanted to. The more you thought about to cozy life of a kittypet, the more you longed to experience it for yourself.

"It sounds to good to pass up," You confessed, your heart pounding in your chest at the thought of what you were about to say. "so, yes. I will go back with you, Jessy. I'll become a kittypet with you."

"YAY!" Jessy squealed in excitement, tackling you into an embrace. "Oh, you're going to love it, (Y/N)! Twolegs are so nice, and their beds are so warm and cozy! The food they give you is kind of dry, but it's really tasty! Oh, and it's so much fun to chase butterflies in your garden! If you catch them, don't eat them, because I don't think they taste very good, but it's still fun to..." You listened to her ramble on and on about the joys of being a housepet, and you couldn't help but to smile and laugh. All your worries had melted away like the snow in newleaf. Leaving ThunderClan would be strange— and a bit frightening— but as long as you had Jessy, you would be just fine.

"It's time for me to go," You murmured to the darkening sky as Jessy continued chattering about how much fun the two of you would have together. "Thank you for allowing me to be happy."

****

This one-shot was a lot of fun to write! It's been awhile since I've read Bramblestar's Storm, so I hope I didn't butcher Jessy too bad ^^"

I always liked Jessy. I was honestly kind of sad when she left, because I was really hoping she would stay like Stormcloud. Oh, well. I hope we get a novella on her some day, at least!

Thanks for requesting again, Pinestripe! I always love writing them for you!

If you have a request, leave it in the comments or PM me! I'd be very happy to write it for you! (If they're open, of course.)

Thanks for reading, commenting and voting!