That hangs in the suspense

Chapter Eighteen | That hangs in the suspense

"She would not allow herself any more time to think. Her early, somewhat Bohemian training had made her something of a fatalist. She felt that events would shape themselves, that the directing of them was not in her hands." Emma Orczy, The Scarlet Pimpernel

Sil knows the routine. Besides having done it herself seven years ago, she's mentored many tributes since. She knows what to do and how to present herself. She knows what to expect.

The parade is practically immediate upon reaching the Capitol. Tributes are shuttled off to the Training Center the moment they leave the train. Stylists wait for them and transform them within hours. Sometimes the transformation is horrendous; sometimes it is lovely.

When the District 1 train arrives at the Capitol station, the crowd is already gathered. It is even more riotous than ever before, because the tributes aren't just anonymous vagabond children from outer districts but famous celebrities that the Capitol already knows. Naturally, the moment her and Gloss step onto the station platform, the cheering is ten times as loud as it usually is.

Gloss is a surly, annoyed grump beside her, but he still manages to smile and appeal to the crowds. Cashmere is with them as well, as their mentor. Another Victor named Lume is also with them, but Sil doesn't know him very well. He was older when she won her games and is probably hitting sixty now. She ignores him and everyone else in their little entourage, except for Evon, with whom she links arms with as she ambles through the crowd. Like her district partner, Sil is very responsive to the crowd. She nods to several people, lifts her hand to greet them, but remains vaguely reserved. She doesn't grin or give anyone her too-wide smile. Starting now, she will be making a transformation of her own.

Evon is practically beside himself as he walks beside her, tittering about the crowds and pointing out 'new amazing' fashions that he simply must try. By the time they reach the safety of the car that will take them to the Training Center, Gloss looks slightly more annoyed than before, probably because Sil and Evon are so busy exchanging fashion tips.

"Darling, I'm telling you right now that raised lapels are out," Sil says as she gathers her dress and seats herself in the car. "With your particular complexion, I dare say a bit of pastel would look wonderful. Muted gold tones are trending of course, but I could see you in lavender."

Evon looks like he's just received a compliment from the Gods.

"Do you really think so? I've always thought purples were a bit...mmm gaudy," he says with a delicate shrug.

Sil shakes her head as the car starts moving, expression morphing into horror at the mere notion. "Dear me, no! You'd look positively exotic. I'm sure Gigi's would have something fabulous. You'll have to stop by, and tell the saleswoman that I sent you."

Evon is about to say something (probably exuberant thank yous), when Gloss snarks, "Would you both shut up. I can't stand another moment of listening to this shit." Cashmere snorts as well, most likely in agreement. Lume just glowers out the window.

Sil simpers and trills, "Well. Pastels would do wonders for you too, Gloss. All those gloomy expressions are not helping your constitution."

Gloss honestly looks like he could strangle her and not feel a shred of remorse. Luckily they're very close to the Training Center, and Sil doesn't say another word because she does value her life, thank you very much. And as much fun as it is to annoy the other Victors with her dual persona, Sil doesn't want to make him hate her enough to hunt her down the moment the Games begin.

The moment the car pulls up in front of the Training Center, they are rushed off to their consecutive stylists. Sil's team is completely new. She's never met any of them before, but greets them graciously as if she's known them her entire life. Because she's already been adhering to Capitol fashion for the last few years, they hardly have any work to do at all. A few touch-ups on her nails and eyebrows is basically it.