24

"What??!!" I ask after grasping what he just said.

He holds my hand but I pull it away "Is this some kind of sick joke? What do you mean you're getting married?"
He shakes his head "I'm serious"

I bury my head in my hands "Explain this, why? Is it me? Am I not making you happy?" I raise my head "Or did you want a male child instead?"

He shakes his head, Squatting infront of me and clasping my hands "It's not that, I love you, I really do" he huffs "It was when we went to see Kaka, she said it would be the last thing she asks of any of us, I swear I didn't have a choice".

I raise my head and look at him "You didn't have a choice? Did she put a knife to your throat? You couldn't fight for it?"

"I tried but she said she wouldn't forgive Baba" he huffs "Babe she's his mother".

I shake my head.
I know how that woman is, if she puts her mind to something nothing can make her change her mind so I understand his situation but why? What did I ever do to her? Why ruin a happy family?

"Who does she want you to marry?"

He stays silent.
It scared me a lot more than hearing about marriage.

"Abdulrazaq? Who is it?"
He huffs "My ex, Khairat"

"Your ex? The girl you were dating when we met?" I gawk.
He nods "Apparently she's still single and Kaka blames me for it. That I led her on for too long and made her drive all her suitors away".

"It's Karma" I whisper "I stole you from her and now—this"
He shakes his head "You didn't steal anyone from her, I loved you and married you".

I smile "That doesn't make me feel better" I huff "How do I tell everyone?"

He stays quiet.
"I need to take my bath and sleep" she gets up and enters the bathroom.

::

I haven't been able to think right since Abdul broke the news to me.
I also got to find out that he told everyone.

I would have gotten angry but I understand he was afraid of my reaction and my family's as well, now it made so much sense why Mami has been behaving oddly.

I look at my baby girl who is still sleeping peacefully, her life is about to change forever and she doesn't even know it.

"Hello there"
I turn around and see Safina standing by the door.

She smiles.
"How did you get in?" I raise my eyebrows, I hope I didn't leave the front door open, Abdul hates it when I do.

She shakes her head as she walks over and sits next to me "No, Ya Abdul was on his way out".

I nod "I thought he went out already"
"Nope. Anyway how are you coping?"

I smile, sadly "Doing what I can for my baby girl, I have to be strong for her":
"I'm sorry I couldn't do anything about it".

I shake my head "Not even Baba could escape it".
She nods and turns her attention to Lina.
"She looks so peaceful".

I nod "Everything still feels so surreal, is this really all happening?"
She looks sad, in the brink of tears "This world is messed up but we thank God, some people will do whatever they can to be in our place".

Yeah her statement is true but the look on her face was obvious, something was up.
"Is it still Sadiq and his mum?"

She shakes her head "No but his sisters keep mentioning kids, they want a niece"
I hiss "And how is that an issue for them? Don't let it bother you".

Then something clicks in my head "Do you have Khairat's contact?"
She looks at me nervously.

"No, I just want to try something"
She nods "Just don't do anything rash".

"I won't".

::

Immediately Safina leaves I call her.
"Hello?"
"Hey, is this Khairat?" I ask.

"This is she, who am I speaking to?" Her voice kinda sounded familiar.
"It's Iqram, Abdulrazaq's wife"

There's a pause.
"Oh Iqram, how're you doing?" He asks reluctantly.
"I'm good" I reply awkwardly. I was talking to my husband's ex and future co wife, nothing about it was normal.

"I feel there is a reason you're calling"
"I know none of this is actually your fault, to ruin a good family. Can't you convince Kaka to just forget this marriage thing?"

"Okay. First of all, I really want you to know that I feel bad that all of this is happening, I really do. Secondly, if you don't know Kaka is very persistent and when she wants something she does whatever she can to get it by hook or by crook and Thirdly, no offense to you but I want this".

"What?" I ask confused. Abdul told me she wasn't excited about it either. Did he lie?
"Yes, I can't deny"
"Why? So your intention was really to ruin my family?"

"He was my boyfriend, wasn't he? But you took him away. The reason I didn't go crazy and sabotage it is because he was destined to marry you and not me at least that was what I thought back then. I wasn't destined to be his wife. I never stopped loving him and if we're getting married now then isn't it my destiny? God's plan is to make me his second and I can't argue with that"
"So that's it?"

"Yes it should be. You didn't feel guilty stealing another woman's man so why should you have a problem sharing the man you stole? Look I'm someone who loves my peace of mind so please let's try everything in our power not to make it a hell house when I eventually move in, please"

I huff "I thought you'd understand me but it turns out I just wasted my time"
"Too bad, I thought you'd understand me too"

::