The Invitation

What was Eleanor Adler hiding? And why was she hiding it?

This was something Lucius had on his mind constantly. Even though it shouldn't have been a big deal he found a way to think of her every so often.

Now was one of these moments.

"If you're not interested in what I have to say at least make it less noticeable Lucius." Narcissa had brought Lucius back from his thoughts about Eleanor.

He looked back at her remembering that he was having breakfast outside with his wife.

Lucius cleared his throat and drank from his warm beverage to ease the tension he found himself to be under.

"Do you know what I've been talking to you about for the past ten minutes?" She asks. Putting him under a lit fire of questioning but Lucius didn't care much and that caused him to say the following:

"Obviously something to not give a shit about, otherwise I would have listened."

Her lips thinned.

Lucius and Narcissa never agreed on most things but their relationship was something both of them could agree on: it wasn't a happy marriage.

They stayed together mostly for their son's sake but Lucius thought of it more as 'She lives in my mansion and doesn't want to leave it.'

"The party." Narcissa brought up. "The Christmas ball I've been talking about for the last three months."

"What about it?" He asks irritated. "They're the same every year, what makes your party planning different?"

"Because I was going to start sending out invitations and I need to know if you had anyone in mind we should invite."

Lucius lifted his gaze up to meet Narcissa's eyes.

Just then he had an idea.

"Yeah, I've got someone."

-

"Professor Adler!" Draco shouts down the end of the corridor where Eleanor was walking.

She turns with a smile and soon greets an envelope being brought to her attention.

"My father told me to give this to you." Draco says

Eleanor takes it to see her name addressed in silver ink.

"Have I got a complaint?" She asks half teasing but wondering if it actually was.

Draco shakes his head. "Quite the contrary Professor. My father has invited you to our annual Christmas party and he asks you to dress formal and not to bring any guests."

Eleanor opened the envelope while Draco talked and Mr Malfoy had been very precise on 'No guests allowed' as it was underlined in red ink.

She hummed and put the letter in her pocket. "I'll try to make it if I can."

Draco nods and leaves ready to write to his father what she had said.

"You're not really going to that ball are you?" Severus asks from behind her.

He overheard the conversation.

"I might." She said. "Did you get an invite?"

Severus shakes his head."I've known him for years and I've never gotten one...." he recalls with suspicion wondering what Lucius was up too.

A slow blush came to her cheeks. "Oh. I just assumed he invited all of the professors."

Severus laughs. "Absolutely not. If there's anything you should know about that man its that he's not fond of people but for some reason he's shown an intrest in you. Which isn't exactly a good thing given your circumstances."

She blinks at his words.

"Just be careful Eleanor." He said with a spite of jealousy.

Severus leaves and Eleanor stands with her stomach turning nervously.

Had Lucius figured out who she was or was he just being charming?

Either way Eleanor despite her situation she felt a spark of excitement at the idea of seeing Lucius again.