Chapter 33

Jennie

Something had got to be different. I didn't even have the chance to wrap my head around my surroundings, as I attempted to keep up with So-yeon who walked five steps ahead of me, like a swift panther.The sound of So-yeon's kitten heels rapidly clashing against the marble floor created an echo in the otherwise strange and empty hallway.

It had been ten entire days since I had last stepped foot in the institution. Could things have muddled up in my head the past week? But then, ten days was too short of a time frame for my memory to be playing tricks on me. It wasn't until we passed by an unfamiliar stairwell, that I realized that the white hallway I was being led down, was not the same as the ones I'd treaded down for the past three weeks.

As realization dawned upon me, I stopped in my tracks, perplexity visibly settling in on my features. "Uh, I'm sorry, but where are we going?" The raven haired nurse paused, turning to face me for a small split second, "Come on, now."

"This isn't the way to room 327. Where are we going?" My voice came out firmer this time.

So-yeon exhaled deeply. "See for yourself, child." With that, she started walking once again, leaving only the unbarring pounding of her shoes to alloy with the perpetuating silence.

I reluctantly followed suit, not stopping again until we both reached a big glass gate. I watched as So-yeon swiped her card against the lock. The door came undone and we entered another series of corridors, lit even exponentially brighter it seemed. Every minute was turning into pure anticipation for me.What is happening?

The nurse came to pause only in front of an ivory door, turning to me with a grave face. "The institution expresses regret over the fact that the last three sessions you had with patient Lisa Manoban had to be urgently rescheduled. We ran into a bit of..a, a situation, you see."

"Oh...that's actually fine. I got your email and..."

"We're in the hospital ward."

I fell silent. Both Mino and I had received mails that clearly said our sessions for the week were cancelled for 'administrative purposes'. But why was only I in the hospital ward? I lifted my eyebrows in uncertainty, leaving So-yeon to continue.

"Lisa Manoban had a psychotic break 9 days ago. And she injured herself. Severely."

I involuntarily gasped. A swirl of emotions overtook my stance, one being the most prominent out of them all. Fear.

"She's been stabilized now and is being kept in the infirmary. You need not worry, you can continue."

"Wait! what!? No!" I spat, shaking my head briskly, "This isn't okay. I...It's not safe! Shouldn't we be rescheduling? Wait for Lisa Manoban to get..better?"

So-yeon sighed, "Honey, trust me, I know.They ought to cancel your session, but there's complications with the University.The deadline for your project needs to be met and you and your friend have already missed three sessions."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Of course.So what if an unhinged psycho tries to potentially kill me? But God forbid, my assignment is handed over a day late.I couldn't believe it. But then, there were a lot of things that sure had shaken up my belief and understanding of the world in the past three weeks.

I ran a hand through my hair. "So, I..I'm allowed to see her?" I warily questioned, glancing at the door, knowing what stood waiting for me behind the hinges.

"Yes, you are. But you'll be under observation; In case, something goes unexpected."

I tried to regulate my breathing pattern back to a steady pace, as So-yeon stepped away from the door, motioning for me to go inside. I inhaled emphatically, twisting the door handle open.

The first sight I was met with was the back of a very shirtless Lisa Manoban gazing blankly into the wall. I paused at the door, as my brain seemed to shut down, my feet as if, gluing themselves to the polished ground. Had there not been the incessant beeping from the monitors, the pounding of my heart may have just about been the loudest sound to ring around the room. I stayed rooted to the floor, basking in the sight my vision divulged.

There Lisa Manoban was, sprawled over the spotless white sheets, various patches and ducts fixed onto her body. Her eyes stared off into the indiscernible space vacantly, not acknowledging the presence of the doctor beside her in the least.

But what had caused my breath to hitch in my throat wasn't Lisa's divine body, but the sundry scars that adorned every ripple of her skin.

Scars.