you can't

(2381 words)
[PG-13]

"Did you have a party in here?" Villanelle questions cheekily, raising her eyebrows at the woman in front of her. Despite Eve pointing a gun at her head, she seems relaxed, although a little beaten up. The bottom of her lips are bruised, a small cut on the left side. Her hair is tied up in a bun messily, which Eve realizes she hasn't seen before. Villanelle usually dresses up for her kills, outfits that pop and draw attention, despite her profession as a secret assassin. Eve has never seen her this disheveled.

"I have lost two jobs, a husband, and a best friend because of you," Eve stammers, exasperated.

Villanelle practically rolls her eyes. "Yeah. But you got some really nice clothes out of it, so..."

Eve scoffs. Of course. She should've known that she wouldn't be able to have a normal conversation with this woman. Even if they had grown closer through this fucked up wild goose chase, Villanelle is still a psychopath, and Eve is still determined to kill her.

The assassin looks pointedly at the gun. "What are you going to do with that?"

"I'm going to kill you."

"No, you're not."

"I am," Eve retorts.

"You're not," Villanelle teases her lazily.

"I am."

Villanelle smirks at her, putting her hands on her hips and staring back at the gun. "You like me too much."

Bullshit.

"I'm gonna tell you something," Eve gestures to Villanelle's chair with her gun. "Sit down."

Villanelle looks at her a second longer, before sighing and walking over to her chair and plopping into it. Now, Eve can see the right side of her face better, the three scrapes in a crescent moon pattern from the top of her forehead to her cheekbones. The assassin looks up at her with those green eyes as Eve traces the wounds on her face in her mind.

There is something about Villanelle's eyes that Eve hates. She hates how those eyes act like perfect mimics, able to show anger, innocence, and absolutely nothing with a simple thought in Villanelle's mind. Eve hates how she can't read her, because that's what her entire career is about. Why does Villanelle kill all of these people? What is her motive? An obvious one could be money, but Villanelle has more money than needed for five lifetimes, and those eyes are still so empty. Something in Eve tells her that money isn't what Villanelle really wants.

Eve lowers the gun, sending a warning glare to Villanelle to not do anything stupid, then moves to sit across from her on the bed, putting the gun visibly next to her. Eve is not going to hurt her, not right now.

Now, Eve will try something that she's not even sure will work.

She puts her head in her hands, takes a deep breath, and looks back at Villanelle, the truth spilling from her mouth before she can change her mind.

"I think about you all the time," she confesses, sitting her hands in her lap "I think about what you're wearing, and what you're doing, and who you're doing it with. I think about what friends you have, I think about what you eat before you work, what shampoo you use, what happened in your family."

Villanelle doesn't say anything. She just listens to Eve, who realizes how good it feels to be heard, not shut down. The blonde's eyes don't leave Eve, who finds herself trailing her eyes back down the assassin's face.

"I think about your eyes and your mouth and...what you feel when you kill someone. I think about what you have for breakfast. I just...want to know everything," Eve finishes, looking at the assassin, whose hands are folded across her legs.