Chapter 4

Clyde watched her walk out the door of the bar.  Damn it, what had he been thinking? Should he go after her? He didn't think that was the best idea. She was mad and he couldn't blame her. She had come in here as sweet as she always was and just as happy to see him. And he acted like a spoiled kid all because he thought she didn't say what he wanted her to say in something so stupid as a text. Hell, he should have just called her and talked to her.

Instead he was trying to play some sort of head game with her. He hated fucking head games. Britney was the champion of them. Always pouting and making him guess what was wrong. And he just did the same damn thing to Laurel. And she made it clear she didn't play games.

"Nice show, Clyde. But it's over and Jim and I need help. It's crazy in here and you didn't help matters," Elise said.

Clyde pulled himself away from his self castigation and looked over at Elise. "Yeah, of course. Sorry about that. Just sorry for my whole mood tonight."

Elise raised an eyebrow at him. "Yeah, you've been a real ass tonight."

"Thanks," he said dryly. 

"Welcome."

For the next two hours everyone he served had to make some comment about the incident. He tried to ignore them. Earl came in at some point to tell him that Laurel had pulled out of the parking lot leaving a rooster tail of gravel in her wake.

"You've pissed that woman off, Clyde, you better make it right while you can."

"Yeah, I know. I've been an asshole."

"It surprising, too. Being an asshole is usually a Jimmy thing. Not like you at all," Earl said conversationally. "But still, Clyde, sooner rather than later."

"He's right, Clyde. It's slowed down here. Jim and I got this. I can close the bar up," Elsie said

"I don't know. Still a lot of people here. And I worry about you closing the bar all alone, Elise."

Earl looked at him. "Now you're making excuses. I promise I'll stay with Elise."

"It's midnight, it's late. She might be asleep."

Elsie laughed. "Trust me, she's too mad to sleep. You better get going."

Clyde stared out over the bar and then he nodded. "All right."

He drove slowly over the Laurel's. He parked in the parking lot and sat for a minute. He didn't even know what to say. He sighed and got out of the truck.

Laurel heard the knock on her door and knew it was Clyde. Ever since she had come home from the bar she had tried to figure out what the hell happened. On one hand, Clyde had acted cold and indifferent and on the other hand, he's threatened a guy for asking her to dance and then gave a warning in the bar to any other guy who might ask her to dance or even try to talk to her.

With a baseball bat. It made no sense. It didn't seem very Clydelike.

When she heard the soft knock on her door, she sat there for a moment. Should she open the door? Was he still mad or whatever it was he was?

"Laurel, please open the door," he said quietly. "I'm really sorry. Please."

She got up and opened the door. He looked pleadingly at her. "Can I please come in? I need to talk to you. I need to explain."

Laurel opened up the door wider and he came in. He looked at her carefully. "I bet you're pretty mad at me and I do not blame you. I was a complete jerk."

Laurel turned and walked over to the sofa. She sat down and patted the seat next to her. "Can you please tell me what is going on? Did I do something that made you angry?"