1: You Know Where to Find Me

The horizon is an endless expanse of vivid blue, the skyline and sea blending into one. A man lifts his forearm over his eyes as the sun sparkles too eagerly off the rippling waves. A cool wind carries the scent of salt water as it passes across his face. He breathes in the future, exhales the past.

It hits him at once that this is the place That Man ran away to. The warmth of the sea breeze and the whisper of the waves are what his lifelong friend exchanged their past for. And it is what he too will now experience every day as "Henry."

That small thought carries Henry towards the doors of the inn where the inn's young driver, Luca, is patiently waiting to escort him.

The seaside town is a mix of historical splendor and tropical rustic, every building lining the street falling somewhere between the two. Stepping inside the inn, Henry is hit with the cool blast of a fan.

"Great to have you," the innkeeper chimes from behind a counter lined with boxes of candy, snacks, and fishing knick-knacks. The innkeeper is a 30-year-old amber-toned woman wearing a colorful patterned dress. She has a cheerful smile that lights up the already bright building.

In a single glance, Henry's enhanced eyes are able to take an entire scan of what appears to be a general store. Based on Luca's continued path with his suitcase, the stairs at the back corner lead to the guest rooms on the second floor.

Henry nods towards the innkeeper as he accepts the silver key she holds out. "Thanks for having me, Ms. Azalea."

"Azalea will do. Luca will take your luggage upstairs for ya."

She pauses as she takes a moment to examine Henry discreetly. He controls his expression, not stressing over whatever backstory she is creating for her new guest—a 30-40-something polished-looking white British man in expensive linen traveling clothes that try too hard to look effortless.

She continues quickly, "We live next door so if you ever need anything, just come knocking. But during the day, I hold up the store so it'd be a miracle if ya couldn't find me right away." With her last sentence, her chin lifts as she stretches her lips in a proud smile.

"Thank you. Do you mind if Luca locks up my room? I'm going to go straight out and tour."

Azalea's hazel eyes widen as she flails her hands. "No problem! Nobody would think to come here, y'know, but we have lots of activities great for visitors!"

She begins listing off activities and Henry listens politely, telling himself that a moment longer won't cause the sea or the man to disappear.

"As long as you can handle spice, I really recommend it," she finishes a couple of minutes later.

Henry pivots his loafer towards the door as he smiles. "I look forward to trying it."

"But Mr. Henry," Azalea reaches out her hand to give him pause, "are you still unsure of how long you'll be staying?"

A soft expression brushes over Henry's face as he glances down towards his buried emotions. "Has any tourist ever stayed permanently?"

Azalea stops breathing and is quiet before saying, "Half a year ago about we had an outsider come. But, Mr. Henry, if someone is touring a town with the mind of finding a home, can you really call them a tourist?"

That Man's nostalgic face floods Henry's mind while he tries to settle on a response to the woman. "Sounds like an interesting man."

The smile Azalea has worn up to now disappears. Her eyes gaze into Henry with wonder. "He is." Slowly, that smile creeps back as she gives the gaze of a woman twice her age. "I'd say he's a tourist attraction all himself. If you're going out now to look around, you'll spot him even if you don't see him."