Chapter 2: A Mantle to Hold.

Warnings: None!! 

As the sun's orange rays began to paint the soil pink, cats gathered beneath the rockpile, mewing in anticipation and excitement. Even the elders had come out, the three laying together and watching on with soft eyes.

"I am more than happy to lead our clan in holding one of the most important ceremonies we could have." Palmstar said, quieting the crowd. The tan cat smiled down at the two apprentices huddled together.

Pebblepaw grinned in anticipation, bumping Bluepaw playfully with his shoulder, who rolled his eyes.

"Bluepaw, please step forwards. You have completed your apprenticeship under Needlefeather, who has approved of my choice. May Starclan hear my words and accept you here today. From this day forwards, you will be known as Bluepounce."

The clan purred in congratulations as one, the sound reverberating through the roots and running to the sky. Welcome.

"And Pebblepaw, come. Rosesplash commends you and speaks for your hunting and climbing skill. From now, you will be known as Pebblefoot." He dipped his head in acceptance, making the silent oath to Starclan. I will uphold this title, for as long as you let me.

"Tonight, you both will sit in the stars' light and hold your silent vigil. I trust that you will not speak, nor will you sleep. As it is sundown, this will begin now. Clan, you are dismissed!"

Pebblepaw- Pebblefoot breathes a sigh of relief as the excited tension dissipates. Bluepounce shoves him lightly as revenge, stalking off to the entrance of camp. The tom starts to follow, before getting immediately tackled by a blur of reddish fur.

"Pebblefoot! Pebblefoot! Your name's so cool!" Flamepaw breathed, tail vibrating excitedly. "Briar- Briar! Do you think our names'll be as cool?"

"Nah." Briarpaw snarked, grinning. "Ours'll be better."

Pebblefoot snickered silently, waving the two off with his tail. The silent vigil meant that he couldn't speak, nor laugh, nor-

Well, anything really. If it involved his voice.

It was meant to pay respect to the stars, and to the privilege they had to uphold the warrior code. The vigil was an honor.

But a tiring one, he learns as the moon rises steadily in the sky and the camp's been long empty. The only things left in the clearing are gently swaying weeds.

Bluepounce breathed softly into the breeze, spiked tail flicking. Pebblefoot stared up into the stars, glancing back at the sound of pawsteps.

"Congratulations, you two." Moonsprite purred lightly, the pale gray cat sitting down in between them. "I'm glad you could do this together."

The other tom raised an eyebrow at her, ear flicking towards the elder's den- where the old she's partners slept soundly. "They'll live without me for a bit, Bluepounce. Don't you worry."

The three watched the climbing sun with tired eyes, the two boys eventually falling asleep against the warmth of the comforting elder's fur when the patrols left.

Three senior warriors sat in a tight huddle, murmuring worriedly.

"Do you think they'll come any closer?"

Another snorted, paws scuffing the earth.

"They wouldn't dare."

Dun dun duuuun~ Thanks so much for reading! :) Hope to see you next time!