Chapter 12

I decided at the last minute to join Curtis as he escorted Jen out of the compound. "You don't deserve the position you've been gifted! And you sure as hell don't deserve not one but two men who loved you!" She says before she pulls Curtis to her and kissed him hard on the mouth. I turn away for a moment, unable to watch before my resolve returns and I have my emotions back under control.

My mouth sets in a straight line as I approach them. Curtis is stock still. I pull her off of him and he lets out a sigh of relief. "I tried giving you the opportunity to survive but once again you have tried my good will. Make no mistake, I am done being merciful. You think I don't deserve this, that I'm too soft? Fine. Let's hope the others learn from your mistakes." I say and take my knife back out, slitting her throat and staring blankly down at her as she falls, grasping at her throat as her blood stains the snow under our feet.

I look up at Curtis and I don't recognize the person I see reflecting in his eyes. "What have I done?" I asked, my voice cracking as I take in Jen's lifeless form.

"This whole thing has put too much stress on you. You snapped. It happens. The important thing is how you pick yourself up from this."

"I don't want to be that person. That person is no better than Ethan, Jen and Brock." I say as he guides me inside.

"And you won't be."

"How do you know?"

"Because you're good. This was a consequence of other's actions. The woman I love isn't capable of cold blooded murder.

"You love me?" I say, looking up at him.

"More than there are stars in the sky." He says before kissing me.