CHAPTER ONE

Present day,

Nigeria.

University of Nigeria Nssuka.

He jerked awake just as he tilted towards the floor, and watched helplessly in surreal slow motion as a glistening glass half filled with beer slid from his hand and went over the counter towards the ground

He jerked awake just as he tilted towards the floor, and watched helplessly in surreal slow motion as a glistening glass half filled with beer slid from his hand and went over the counter towards the ground. It shattered into countless pieces, each specks reflecting the kaleidoscopic strobe lights that splashed down from the ceiling. The drink was splattered in a radial splotch that for a moment he thought he saw blood on the white tile of the gym.

One cannabis chips with two bottles of beer would do that.

For Sean, on this night of the one-of-a-kind, end-of-the-year party, it was just a start.

No one noticed the sight of splintering glass, or the heard the crash in the din; the bartender was attending to some other guy dripping wet from dancing and had just pulled up a chair to order for dry gin. Some moments later a couple trudged past, unaware of the shards beneath. Some girl shrilled over the noise, as Mr Eazi's 'Leg over' blared from the speakers after a reckless turntable drift, she was apparently drunk staggering from one guy to the other, equally high bro taking the chance to feel her up till some student man o' war guy intervened and led her away while she kept shouting and jumping, laughing hysterically in between. "Leg over... my baby give me leg over ahn ahn..." a tad off beat while her long gown tangling with legs of her intervening 'knight' hobbled her being chivvied away enough for her to blow a kiss in Sean's direction and ululate after.

"Say She no get person wey suppose tell her say she no suppose dey drink something wey no gree with am?"

Sean looked to his side and saw Chikurdi pulling a chair next to him and staring quizzically. He shrugged in response. He told her how he was surprised to see her here, and she took her time to regal him with how as the SUG entrepreneur of the year she had to grace the occasion with her presence, considering how her book shop business nearly crashed alongside bitcoin and how she'd finally able—with some help from Sean and Dave no less—to get it running again, she deserved to celebrate after all. "we all deserve to celebrate." She added. She craned her neck about after ordering two shots of whiskey and asked where David, Sean's friend was?

Sean tried to recall when last he saw Dave, his head hurt even from thinking. The last he saw his friend was over at the make shift shisha bar out on the field with his own personal glass bong and a bunch of guys from the football team. Naturally, Sean would have been with them, but tonight he needed to be alone. Drunk. High. Synesthetic.

He told Chikurdi where Dave might be, she thanked him and walked away.

Dave had practically dragged him to this night event, when he'd rather sulk over how he got dumped. He's been with Ayesha for the past six month which was his longest relationship in recent memory. A student exchange programme is having her go for a complete session in Egypt, she'd most likely stay permanently if she had a say in it. And her way of saying goodbye was breaking up after shocking him with the news of a scholarship he never knew she applied for, and as she put it, "you don't listen. I told you about it," making it seem the scholarship was either his fault or some comeuppance. Sean listens. In his favour he was either lost in thought bored out by how Ayesha never runs out of what to say, perhaps he was just high from some weed, on his sofa, red-eyed, seeing colours, while she sat there and talked. "it was at the cafeteria, that day after Calculus 1 exam..." he was already zoning off before she stated that she needed someone her own speed. Besides, she had no high hopes about long distance dating and didn't think she'd want to try. By 'someone my own speed' Sean took it to mean someone cooler, perhaps smarter, someone a little more than a football jock with slipping GPA and the extra baggage alcohol and marijuana habit to boot.