Everything Works Out ≫ Mousefur x Male! Reader

Art: Draghins

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Some angst

****

You sighed in frustration, kicking a pebble with your paw. You watched as the tiny copper-colored stone sailed out over the river, skipped across the water's surface for several heartbeats, then vanished into the murky blue. Today just wasn't your day. You'd somehow managed to get on both Whitestorm and Spottedleaf's nerves, despite those two being the most patient and understanding cats ThunderClan had to offer. Then, Lionheart invited you to go on his hunting patrol, and you'd missed every catch except a tiny, shriveled excuse of a squirrel. "It's better than nothing," Lionheart had told you when you begrudgingly dropped your catch on the freshkill pile. "ThunderClan is grateful for every piece of prey caught. Don't be so hard on yourself." Although his words were slightly comforting, you knew that he was just as disappointed in you as the rest of your clanmates. You didn't know it yet, but your day was about to get much worse.

"(Y/N), we need to talk."

You sat up and turned your head to see your mate of many moons, Willowpelt, padding up to you. Relieved to see her after your terrible day, you smiled and rushed to greet her, but hesitated. Her ears were drooping with sorrow, and her brilliant blue eyes revealed a slew of conflicting emotions. You tipped your head, worry causing your throat to tighten. "Willowpelt? What is it?"

The cream-colored she-cat took a deep breath, then let it out slowly and met your gaze. "We can't be together anymore, (Y/N)... I... I made a mouse-brained mistake."

"I'm sure it's not that bad," You meowed, confused. "You've never done anything bad to me, Willowpelt. What could possibly make me love you any less?"

Your mate's eyes suddenly filled with tears, and she looked at the ground, her paws beginning to tremble. You reached forward to comfort her, but she pulled away. "(Y/N), that clump of white fur in our nest wasn't from a rabbit. It... It was Whitestorm's." You felt like the sky was crashing down on top of you. You stared at the she-cat you had given everything to, her face becoming blurry as painful tears clawed their way into your eyes. Every single "I love you" flashed before your eyes, as well as every promise and every piece of prey you had ever shared with her. Sickness welled up deep inside you, threatening to crawl up your throat and spill out of your mouth in a violent flood. Willowpelt continued to stare at her paws, shame and torment lacing her once-beautiful features.

You began to back away from her, shaking your head in disbelief as tears streamed down your cheeks in a flood. "I don't even know who you are anymore." Then, you turned and pelted into the forest, leaving your broken relationship in the clearing behind you.

You burst through the camp entrance not thirty heartbeats later, gasping for air. A good friend of yours, Mousefur, was exiting the warriors' den, and when she saw you, her face twisted up in grave concern. "(Y/N), what in StarClan's name happened?" She asked gently, her amber eyes wide. "You look like you've been attacked by badgers!" You slowly looked up to meet her gaze, but before you could say anything, a sob ripped from your chest, causing you to double over and moan in unimaginable pain. Several of your clanmates gathered around, murmuring anxiously.

"Is ShadowClan attacking?"

"Did someone die?"

"Where's Willowpelt?"

You sobbed harder, and Mousefur leaned against you and gently guided you away from the crowd. Once you were out of sight and safely hidden from the prying eyes of your clanmates inside the empty warriors' den, Mousefur sat you down and turned to face you. "(Y/N), what's going on? Are you hurt?"

You took in a shuddering breath, struggling to gain some kind of composure. "You could say that," You mumbled, wiping the tears off your cheeks with a paw. "Mousefur, Willowpelt... Willowpelt cheated on me with Whitestorm... I... I don't know what to do without her..." Your old friend stared at you in silence, then sighed in disbelief and gently pulled you into an embrace. You began to sob into her shoulder, burying your face as deep as you could into her fur.

Mousefur began to gently rub your trembling back with a paw. "I'm so sorry, (Y/N)," She whispered, sounding as if she was about to cry, too. "You don't deserve this, and it's clear that Willowpelt doesn't deserve you."

You pulled away from her embrace, looking her dead in the eyes. "I can't let her go, Mousefur. I can't lose her!" Your voice came out harsher than you intended it to, but the dusky-brown she-cat didn't seem to take it personally.

"I know you lover her, (Y/N)," She meowed softly, placing a paw on your shoulder. "but it's over now. I know you don't want to believe that, but some things just can't go back to the way they used to be." You started to cry again, so she reached forward and pulled you into another embrace. "I know," She whispered. "I know. It'll be alright, (Y/N). Let her go. It'll be alright..." You continued to sob into her fur, releasing all your pain and frustration in your tears. As you cried, you began to realize that even though it hurt, even though it felt like everything was coming to a horrible end, it really wasn't. Perhaps this was just the beginning.

****

Nearly two seasons had passed since you and Willowpelt broke up, and things were much better for everyone. Willowpelt seemed very happy with Whitestorm, but you didn't mind because you knew you were even happier than either of them. A soft yawn beside you brought your attention back to reality, and you looked down to see your mate stirring beside you. You smiled softly, leaning down and gently touching your nose to her ear. She smiled back at you, smoky pulling herself into a stretch. "Good morning, love," She yawned, sitting up and rasping her tongue over your cheek. "How did you sleep?"

"Good," You purred. "I always sleep well when you're next to me, Mousefur."

"Oh, quit it, you big flirt." She smirked and playfully nudged you with her shoulder. You rose to your paws and followed her out into the clearing, heart fluttering as you watched the soft sunlight dance on her gorgeous pelt and shine in her eyes. "I'm going hunting by the WindClan border," She meowed, turning to face you. "Care to join me?"

"I promised Sandpaw I would take her to mark the ShadowClan border today," You replied, giving Mousefur an apologetic smile. "When we finish training for today, I'll take you to that clearing with the wild roses that you love so much. Deal?"

Mousefur smiled brightly. "Deal." Then, she turned and bounded out of the camp and into the forest. You watched her leave, your heart swelling with love. You would've had no idea that the worst day of your life would turn out so wonderful.

****

Mousefur is sooo underrated asdfghjkl

I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out, so I hope you are as well! Thank you so much for reading, and remember to leave a request if you wish!

Btw, this was heavily based off of the song "Be Alright" by Dean Lewis. Give it a listen. It's a great song :3