III

Curly Aaron

All the most amazing moments happen when the wrong music sounds. Don't like the track? Get ready for the best. I felt like a freshly baked Christmas cake on the festive table of the universe, dancing to the lines about gangsters and cash. I was ready. If I could turn into a fairy, I certainly did it.

My gaze caught on the dim receding silhouette of Zoe Turner. My heart told me to follow her. Yes, it's the heart.

There were also a lot of people on the second floor. Most were huddling in corners or chatting about something too important to yell about in the living room. I could understand everyone. Did I want to say something insanely important to one of the most wonderful girls on planet Earth? Undoubtedly. But I had no idea what exactly. That I feel the thrill of magic wings behind my back and the desire to soar over the snow-covered town? Did I hope for a kiss? I confess everything.

The silhouette disappeared behind the toilet door. Stopping a girl from satisfying her physiological needs with confessions is a bad way to show sympathy. I waited patiently in a corridor two paces wide. One step and two. Familiar and not so familiar faces flashed in front of me. Friendly, indifferent and mocking. The friendlier a person was to me, the less we knew me. The toilet door remained closed after five and ten minutes. Those wishing to get there gathered in a small queue. I knocked.

- Are you okay?

"Please don't die at the hands of the sewer monster, drug overdose, peanut allergies and everything else that kills teenagers at parties."

The door opened. Have I been invited? Hooting came from behind me. I entered.

Zoe Turner was crying. She sat on the edge of the bathroom and wiped her flushed face with pink toilet paper. A new item has been added to my list of today's unsolvable problems.

- So ... sorry, you wan ... wanna pee? I ... now ..., - the girl rewound a couple more meters of paper, going to leave.

The sobs intensified for a few seconds. Frequency. Volume. For all indicators. Then I heard her giggle.

- Zoe, what happened? - I sat down on the tiles, propping up the door.

- It would be ridiculously stupid to talk to you about this.

- Why? Maybe I can help you.

It didn't seem to me - the girl was laughing.

- Let's call Barb?

- Don't you dare do it!

She was almost scared now. Or even angry. I have always seen only smiling Zoe. Good-natured. Polite. Diligent. Combed. Washed. With a beaming smile on the face of an angel.

- I... I do not wish you harm. I think I'd better get out.

Zoey blew her nose with a relish.

- Wait, Aaron. Wait a minute. Oh! You ... It's just ... I didn't expect it to be this way. But I delayed for a long time. Which is not surprising. There are no "special moments". And you ... have nothing to do with it. Okay?

I nodded. In any situation, it is easier to agree, especially when you do not understand what is going on.

- Okay.

- You're a good guy.

- Wow! Thanks, Zoe.

- I'm glad it's you. Truth.

- Yes?

She was glad to see me. Not bad.

- Yeees. Because I didn't have enough courage. And you ... And that's why everything is fair.