Excerpt from When The Lights Go Out

"Okay," Maria said, slowly nodding her head. "So fine, tall, rich man. Wants to pay you to marry him... Made a deal with a friend... worth millions..." Savvy nodded her head in agreement.

"And you told him you had to think about it?" Maria continued. Savvy nodded again, rolling her eyes at the breakdown.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Savannah?" Maria asked. She didn't sound angry. Her tone was more like pity. She was still shaking her head slowly. It was then Savvy knew it was just the calm before the storm. So when Maria started her Spanish rambling again, she was relieved that she stayed in her seat. Savvy raised one hand and quieted her down.

"He only wants to marry me because I'm a stripper, Maria. It's risky because he is all the things you just listed and probably more. I ain't got time for that, girl. Men like him got problems we know nothing about. He got rich people's problems okay. What if I catch feelings for him or something? He's so handsome. He's also an asshole to the fifth power and he will be a pain in my gluteus Maximus."

"If you won't do it, I will. But if you want to do it, I'm always there for you no matter what time of day. If you feel something, I'll be there to knock it out of your head, but you need to get this money, girl. You could pay for school with all that money. Savvy, you wouldn't have to stress about the bills for your granny. This is a real come-up opportunity here." Maria paused for a minute, letting all of that sink in, and then she said, "All your dreams, you could finally make them happen, girl. Don't let a handsome face throw you off."