Chapter 1: The Plan to Escape

Greetings.

This is the official 2022 remaster of the Undertails story I made years ago (which was previously a fanfic dot net exclusive, but not anymore. Plus it now has gone through some redesign and is now better acclimated to my new writing style).

I decided to remaster this story due to a part of me saying "you know what? Screw it, why not? Besides, I want to fix a lot of errors in that story anyway...", and thus this god awful story was born XD

I also want to try experimenting with darker story tones and other shifts, so that may happen here, but probably not.

I will warn you that I may not update this frequently. I'm using this first chapter as a test bed to see how people react to this? Do you like or not like it? Are there any issues? Y'know... stuff like that.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the remastered story from like 5 years ago or something that I made! Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing that hit his senses when he woke up was the crisp autumn scent of the leaves and trees. The Blue Hedgehog slowly opened his eyes to the wildlife around him. He looked up to the sky, the yellow and red leaves shielding him from the golden sun above him, though some rays of light still breached the leafy barrier. It wasn't enough to annoy him, but it was definitely enough to squint a little. He stood up from the trunk of the tree and stretched, yawning audibly as he did so. He watched several birds flock away from him and small critters dance around in the field in front of him. He chuckled to himself, knowing how beautiful and peaceful his surroundings were. This place brought him peace, tranquility, a calmness that gave him a chance to properly rest.

Then his smile fell into a frown, as he remembered everything that had been going on. It had been two years since the end of the Metarax conflict, two years since that fateful day. In those two years, so much has happened that kept him up at night. Even though Eggman wasn't there to lead his forces, his minions slowly captured territories while everyone was out fighting the Metarex. When he and his friends returned, they didn't even realize at first that Eggman had even taken over most of the planet until he unleashed his most devastating weapons and projects.

After being exposed to Metarex technology and designs, Eggman had incorporated them into his own and modified them to be even more of a threat. Not only that, he had managed to simplify the process of creating the robots without any noticeable decreases or flaws, making them suitable for mass production. He had sent them out in a force so massive, it surpassed the largest invasion in Mobian History. His forces have gobbled up territory after territory, with no armies or resistances even making a dent on his numbers. In less than a few months, half of the planet belonged to Eggman's Empire... in two years, almost a majority of the planet was under his thumb. Seeing cities in ruins and people either enslaved or working in some fashion for Eggman gave him shudders, but it was the screams and bodies that gave him nightmares. It was the screams and the people that he couldn't save that made his title of hero falter. Had he, Sonic the Hedgehog, been faster, he could've saved more people in time from the clutches of Eggman's army, but alas, fate decides to twist the knife in his heart more which each battle lost... with each city destroyed... with every person killed...

It nearly broke him, especially for his friends, who lived in fear of Eggman's onslaught. What if Eggman gets to them as well? What would they do? What COULD they do? There were very few places on Mobius that were safe from Eggman's invasion. Even the Acorn Kingdom had been wiped out, and its leaders scattered to the winds.

Sonic sighed. He knew he was overreacting about the situation again, but how could he not? This wasn't right! Millions of people are under threat everyday, and the world is slowly being gobbled up under Eggman's rule!