Chapter 2. The Unexpected Stranger

Downstairs. . .

I started to worry as I stared at my mother's still form. She was standing straight as a rod, almost as if she was worried about what was going to happen. Which was unusual, but what else is new? It's not like I'm not used to the unexpected.

As soon as that thought popped into my head, I heard a huge gust of wind. Which was odd, since it was still supposedly a clear sunny day. Unless. . . It was created by something supernatural.

That should be impossible. I know for a fact that the house was warded. No one could come to the property without being invited (human or supernatural) or taking down my Parent's wards.

As the sound of the wind faded, the doorbell rang. My mother sprained into action. Heading straight to the door. When the door opened, a streak of color swept past me and unexpectedly swept me off my feet.

I suddenly was engulfed in a huge hug. I stood there in horror. I was not into affection from strangers and only Tim and Logan were the ones who showed me affection. This was a very new, uncomfortable experience. As the person, no woman stood back, I was taken aback by her appearance. She was an older woman, with wavy brown hair that fell to her waist, bright forest-green eyes, and a big smile. That was not the reason for me to be shocked. It was the fact that she looked like an older version of me!

The mysterious lookalike said to my mother in an icy tone, "Meridith it is a pleasure to see you again."

My mother's reply sounded like a machine crushing stones into little pieces of gravel, "Yes, it is Rose. Would you like refreshments?"

The stranger, Rose I believed, answered in an even icier voice, "No, but I would like some alone time with my granddaughter. If it is of course allowed, but there is no need to rush. It's not like I have been kept from Sarah for the past 16 years."

My mother's eyes narrowed and her lips pursed into a frown as she turned to me and said, "I will be in my office if you need my assistance." With one more glance to whom I now assumed to be my grandmother, she left the room.

I of course throughout this didn't know to be astounded, furious, or betrayed. My parents had always said that I had no living relatives, therefore, depriving me of what I always wanted. A family.

I then turned to my grandmother? When I looked into her eyes I saw love and hope of a new beginning. The one where I would be loved and cared for. Not lonely or forgotten. With that one glance, I launched myself into my grandma's arms, sobbing. Because I finally knew where I belonged.