As The World Begins To Shift ≫ Velvet x Crippled! Female! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: Silverzoul

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Some angst
• Some gore
• Injury
• Velvet being adorable

This is another request for the lovely Pinestripe37! Be sure to go give them some love!

****

If you had known what the battle with ShadowClan would cost you, you would've pretended to have greencough. It started off as ShadowClan being ShadowClan and harassing Bramblestar over the kittypets he was offering temporary shelter to, but the conflict had quickly become violent when a patrol decided to cross into ThunderClan territory to hunt. Their excuse was that ThunderClan must be too weak to defend their borders, since they were half-housepet.

"Warriors of ThunderClan, we shall not allow those frog-eaters to take what is ours any longer!" Bramblestar's snarl rang out over the pouring rain, sounding as vicious as the roaring thunder itself. You were lined up in a perfectly straight form along with your fellow warriors, watching your leader intensely. He was going on about how ThunderClan would always come out on top, but you had a nasty feeling in the pit of your stomach. Heavy rain wasn't exactly ThunderClan's strong point, and neither were dense, dark pine forests. Just as Bramblestar finished his speech, Rowanstar and his warriors appeared over the crest of the hill, eyes blazing and dark pelts bristling in spite of the rain.

You couldn't remember much after Bramblestar yowled the command to attack. You must've hit your head harder than you thought. What you could remember was Cloverfoot crashing into your flank and sending you sprawling across the wet grass. You had clawed both her ears and even managed to nick her right eye, but she had the upper advantage. She harshly grabbed you by your scruff and thrusted you up against the wet trunk of a pine, causing the needles to painfully pierce into your back and shoulders. Then, she leaned close and snarled something that would stick with you until the day you died.

"What kind of warrior are you? You can't even land a good blow!" She cackled, then raked her claws across your muzzle and vaulted her hind paw so hard into your hip, a sickening, wet crack rang out over the chorus of screeching and snarling, along with your agonized scream.
After that, your vision blacked out and you could only hear the sounds of a fading battle and Lionblaze's panicked cry.

"(Y/N) is hurt bad! Someone get a medicine cat!"

And now here you were, nearly two full sunrises later, staring at Leafpool in horror while your new friend — and kittypet — Velvet, sat next to you and gently rubbed your back with a paw.

"Y-you mean I'll never be able to be a warrior again?" You choked out, tears brimming in your eyes.

The senior medicine cat bowed her head, her amber eyes pained for your loss. "I'm sorry, (Y/N). I'm afraid that's true." Your entire life flashed before your eyes. Your first time out of camp as Ivypool's apprentice, the first mouse you caught, your first battle, everything spun around you in a blur as you struggled to come to terms with what you had just been told. All your hard work, dedication, and loyalty had gone to waste. Suddenly, you felt more angry than sad.

Leafpool dipped her head, then rose to her paws and padded to the den entrance. "I'll give you two some time." Then, she disappeared into the lichen covering. The moment she was gone, you buried your face in your paws and began to cry. Velvet rested her chin on your spine, gently rasping her tongue across your trembling pelt. You just cried harder, unable to hold it in any longer.