25 | Pressley

One hour.

That was all the time it took for us to depart from Eaker Castle, find our way to City Hall, where only the overnight receptionist and a police officer were working, alert the Town Board members, and to be standing in front of Mr. John Radley. Ten minutes later, the bells were tolled, the town was awoken, and Castle was declared over. Along with it, news of a new champion.

When I returned home, the night sky having taken its place over Pearl Cove, I felt a way I never had before. The past number of days were still sitting like weights on my skin, and I knew it would take a long time for me to feel truly happy again, but there was a sort of pride that I couldn't ignore. A sort of pride that only came to a person whose last-minute revelation about one complicated word brought them victory while the sun was setting on a town they'd always wanted to call home. It was pride that came to a person who had just won twenty-five thousand dollars.

I'd never felt more like a part of Pearl Cove than I did for the next week. A stroll to Remmy's Grocery with Grandpa was no longer one met with pitiful stares and condolences from people I'd never even met. Instead, it was bright, congratulatory, exciting. I found that the air around the skating rink and the bridge and the park was lighter, easier to breathe in. For once, I wasn't Essie's granddaughter or Luna's girlfriend or Laurel's Pearl Cove-loving little sister. I was just Pressley, a worthy member of Pearl Cove's history. Maybe that was all I needed to make my peace.

Like most years past, Pearl Cove's esteemed and highly respected (or not) Town Board was hosting the Castle-ending ball on the Saturday following the original end-date of the game. According to the internet and the torn-up news articles that Poppy and I found in the library, the ball was always quite the opposite of the game itself. The night was promised to be coincidence-free, enjoyable, friendly, and momentous, according to history. As I was learning, Pearl Cove didn't always keep its promises. Nevertheless, I was excited. Finally.

The whole family was invited to the ball. Anyone who participated in Castle, beginning with that stuffy day in the auditorium, was welcome to bring whoever they wanted. So, as the grandfather clock in the dining room inched toward six o'clock, the outside snow lighting up the house like its job was to do so, I made my way down the stairs, a blue dress falling just below my knees and a pair of Poppy's old high heels strapped to my feet. In the kitchen, Grandpa and Poppy were ready, dressed so nicely that just their aura bright a smile to my face. The living room, however, hosted my dad and Cole, whose discussion about garbanzo beans I could hear from the next room over. Evidently, some things never changed.

Of course, that left one conversation to overhear as I neared the back hallway. I was heading for the study, to turn off the light I'd left on while I was sitting in one of the old chairs, staring at Grandma's Big Green Book, willing myself to open it. Though I could feel myself processing and healing and just being, I wasn't ready for it yet. It would come with time, I was sure.

Just down the hall from the study, I could see my mother leaning against the wall, wearing her favorite grey dress, her hair twisted perfectly into a black clip. In front of her, I saw Laurel with her arms crossed and her belly protruding. I disappeared into the study before my presence became noticeable. Just as I clicked off the light, however, the tone of Laurel's voice caused me to stop. I stood just inside the door, invisible to the two of them but clearly eavesdropping to anyone else in the house who might come looking. I decided to take my chances.

"It's your decision," my mother was saying, her voice low and remarkably nice, considering the way Laurel's voice bursted with exhaustion.

"If I enroll in classes, it's just more money."

"But it would be our money," my mother said.

Laurel sighed, her breath coming out with more emotion than usual. "That's not the point. I don't want to be in school until Iris is old enough. It's not where I'm at."