Chapter 14

"I'll lead the invasion force."

Katara and Kota looked to Sokka incredulously. "Don't be crazy, Sokka."

"Maybe I am a little crazy, but the eclipse is about to start and we need to be up that volcano by the time it does."

"You can do this." The three siblings turned back to their father, who smiled weakly at Sokka. "I'm proud of you son."

"I still think you're crazy, but I'm proud of you too." Katara smiled up at Sokka.

"Well, I don't think I need to say anything because you should already know how I feel." Kota shrugged but wrapped her arm around Sokka with a gleeful smile. "But so am I."

Sokka looked to his family genuinely before putting on his helmet and climbing on Appa. Kota then ran up to him and climbed on as well. "Kota what are you doing? I need to go alone." Sokka's eyes flickered between hers with worry resulting in her smacking his shoulder.

"Since when have I ever let you do anything this big by yourself?" Kota scoffed in disbelief. "I'm here with you to the end. Always." Sokka sighed in defeat and nodded. He knew he couldn't persuade her to stay, she was just too stubborn.

"Appa. Yip, Yip."

~

Everything seemed to be going well according to the plan. The crew and everyone else started to attack and left the Firebender's powerless. No sooner than later, the gang met up with each other and reported their positions on the attack. Then all of a sudden, Katara pointed to the sky and the gang saw Aang flying towards them in a rush.

"Please tell me you're here because the Fire Lord turned out to be a big wimp and you didn't need the eclipse to take him down?"
Sokka ranted out desperately, in hopes of being right.

"He wasn't home. No one was." Aang looked down with distress. "The entire palace city is abandoned."

Kota's eyes widened in realization before they looked down in anger. "They knew."

"It's over, The Fire Lord is probably long gone. Far away on some remote island where he'll be safe during the eclipse." Aang explained but Sokka knew better. He knew that the royal family wouldn't just leave their home, at least not far from it.

"No, my instincts tell me he wouldn't go too far." Sokka's gaze lifted from the floor and looked around at everyone. "He would have a secret bunker. Somewhere he could go and it'll be safe during a siege, but still be close enough to lead his nation."

Kota looked to the floor and thought hard about this. Her hand went to the floor and she closed her eyes, feeling any sort of vibration or any energy around her. When she opened her eyes back up, they glowed their bright gold before flickering back to their normal brown ones.

"And I think I know just where it is." She looked back up at the volcano, gaining the gang's attention.

~

The group, finally made their way into the volcano, thanks to Toph's bending. Running and flying their way through lava and explosions, they eventually made it to the door of the Fire Lord. With Aang ready, he blew open the doors but was caught with a surprise.

"So you're alive after all." Azula smirked from the throne causing the group's jaws to drop to the floor. "I had a hunch you survived. But it doesn't matter, I've known about the invasion for months."

Kota scoffed at this and looked to Azula hard. "Really? Wow, did that not seem obvious since we figured our way over here?" She sarcastically remarked resulting in Azula to turn her gaze to her.