𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

Hope Ashford

"Nicolas, my bodyguard has to come with us," I point out. Nina walks out of the kitchen. I glare at her. She slowly starts walking back to the kitchen. All the hatred I felt a few minutes ago comes back. I was trying to get over that horrible moment. That's the thing, Adrian has a thing for her. For Nina.

How could I have been so stupid to not notice earlier? That one time they were laughing together, them in the kitchen earlier. He's such a liar. Coming at me with that 'I don't do relationships' bullshit and even gave me a shitty sob story about his love misfortunes. Who knows? Maybe it was him who broke Brenda's heart and not the other way around like he said.

He likes Nina. Anger builds up inside of me. Lots of it. "Nina," I call out. She turns around to look at me. "Tell your boyfriend he has the afternoon off." I put Nicolas's arm around me and lead him out. "We have to hurry," Nicolas and I walk out of my house quickly. I just hope that Adrian is far enough to not catch up to us.

"Miss," I summoned him, didn't I? Nicolas and I turn around. He's panting like he's been running. "I have to come along, it's my job." I roll my eyes and sigh.

"You can take the afternoon off Adrian," I say while crossing my arms. "Nicolas can take care of me just fine. Go take your girlfriend out on a date or something." He stares at me, confused. Oh, drop the act you moran.

"Oh, the gum wrapper guy is your bodyguard? I thought he was like a butler or something," Nicolas says. Gum wrapper guy? I look down at Adrian's hands which are clenched fists. I look up at his face, he looks pissed. The nickname's dumb but I don't see the reason to be pissed.

"I have to be with you at all times," Adrian reminds me. Yes, he does, and I don't want him near me because it hurts. It hurt so much to see the way Nina was holding him, the way he lied to me, the way he made me believe he felt something for me.

Adrian Newman

"Okay, but stay at least six feet away," Hope says sternly. It reminds me of when she hated me. Which makes me think she hates me again, for rejecting her. But look at her now, being extra affectionate with Nicolas. I saved myself from another heartbreak.

I nod and they start walking. I'm walking behind them, six feet away. He's holding her hand, intertwining their fingers. I look away, I'm only torturing myself by watching how affectionate they're being right now.

That's the thing though, I can't take my eyes off of her. So I don't. I don't know if I'm not taking my eyes off of her because it's my job, or because I just can't. Both. He leans over and whispers something in her ear. She chuckles and playfully shoves his shoulder.

It makes me mad to remember the way she "confessed" her love and now she's being extra affectionate with her ex-boyfriend. Now that's what would've happened if I did say 'I love you' back. Hope would've messed with my feelings for a while and then run to Nicolas. The best boyfriend she has ever had.

I don't know why I tried to run after her earlier. She wasn't jealous when she saw Nina touching me. Jealousy is only caused when you care, and it's pretty fucking clear that Hope doesn't. I broke the rule once again. I promised myself I wouldn't and here I am.

I'm full of shit because it doesn't matter that I didn't say 'I love you' back. Seeing her with Nicolas makes me feel like shit. It hurts. It shouldn't hurt as much as it does. It shouldn't make me as angry as it does. What made me even madder, is that he called me gum wrapper guy. Asshole.

I immediately notice where we're headed. To the same place where Hope and I got ice cream twice. I don't wanna be here, I don't want to watch them. Damn me for picking this job. Remember who you're doing this for Adrian. For Sophia.

They decided to eat their ice cream inside the place, so I stayed outside. There's no need for me to be inside, torturing myself even more than I already am. Screw this.

Narrator

"James please just listen to me," Mrs.Pierce pleads. Mr.Ashford buries his face in his hands, trying his hardest not to break down on the spot, reminding himself that they're in his office. At the agency.

"How could you?" Mr.Ashford manages to choke out. Mrs.Pierce stays silent, not knowing what to do or say. "We've been married for twenty-three years Ella! TWENTY THREE YEARS!" he shouts. "Does that mean nothing to you!?"

Mrs.Pierce swallows, thinking about a lie that she could possibly come up with. But all of a sudden her mind goes blank. "James I love you." Mr.Ashford lets out a sound, one that could be either a scoff or a laugh. Maybe both.

"I'm not stupid Ella," he says. "We're getting a divorce."

Mrs.Pierce starts to panic. "James please..." she starts to sob. "Think about what people will say! Our employees! Our friends! HOPE!?"

"You know I don't care about what people say," Mr.Ashford reminds her. "And Hope... Hope will understand. She's eighteen, an adult. She's no longer a little girl. I can assure you our separation won't affect her much."

"You can't leave me!" Mrs.Pierce shouts.

"You're pathetic Ella," Mr.Ashford leans back in his chair trying to stay as calm as possible. "You were riding another man's dick! Of course I can leave you. And be grateful I'm not suing you for adultery."

"If you leave me," Mrs.Pierce lifts her index finger. "I'll tell Hope the truth."

Mr.Ashford angrily stands up. "Are you blackmailing me!? And using Hope!?" Mrs.Pierce has a smug smile on her face. "You disgust me Ella." 

"So what will it be James?" Mrs.Pierce asks.