Letter 9

Letter 9: Ion Ristov

"He specializes in death".

I try to let that sink in.

Ion and death... Doesn't match up. He's too sunny. Too dumbly carefree. Too lively.

"O-Oh", I breathed out. "I wasn't exactly expecting... That. Does he not like his speciality or something?"

"I wouldn't know. His missions includes stopping one's attempt in reviving the dead and managing lost souls in the land of the dead but... Besides that, he keep quiet about his other personal works from everyone", Simon responded.

"Maybe he's disturbed because he spends like 3/4 of his life with dolls", Lizzy blurted out. Cassandra harshly stepped on Lizzy's foot. "Oow! I'm joking!"

"Haven't you guys... tried getting to know him?" I asked, a little worried. I still feel unsure about being friends with Ion (due to our personality overall), but you start caring about a person who is pretty much your only company at school, you know?

"To emphasis on tried", Ernest spoke up to reply, "Everyone who have interacted with him only got as far as what he does around here, and the fact that he was the apprentice of Nevan's father, who was the division leader for Knowledge. Perhaps that is why his training went by so quickly compared to others. There was also this ca-- Erm, nevermind what I have just said."

Yes, I'm also trying to take the fact that my Dad got a hold of Nevan's address from the fact that his father used to work with my old man.

"Hey, he's taking too long", Lizzy pointed out. "He's running away to his office again, isn't he?"

"I don't think you would call it an office", Simon muttered. "It's more like a workshop now..."

"...Can I go see him?" I requested. "Which way is his office?"

They stared at me as if I was nuts. 

Cass shook her head, "It's quite a bizarre place. It used to be Sir Natane Reed's office himself but now it's just strange... It's... To the first left path after you enter the door to the right. The door to the left is the shortcut to the food court. We'll be there."

I walked for that place before I let her finish. I went through the door on the right and walked through this pale, empty hall-- and by empty, I mean both physically and emotionally, somehow. 

I took the second left path which leads to a single door alone with no labels whatsoever, as opposes to others I have seen. 

I nervously attempted to knock but the door immediately shots open vertically, giving access to this small space I strongly assume an elevator. There was no selection of floors, only one button. I pressed it hesitantly, in which the door closes for a good five seconds before opening again, this time presenting a completely different room.

The room wasn't particularly big or anything -- at a glance it was about the size of a basketball court, probably because of the dozens of human-sized dolls displayed everywhere. If Simon hadn't told me Ion deals with dolls, I wouldn't have thought those were. This is the kind of place where you know shit are going down if appears at a horror movie.

And even though I said "human-sized", some doesn't even resemble a human, but instead aliens and a few animals.

There were no windows, nor typical room lights, but the room is still bright enough. I make my way carefully through the randomly-placed dolls, afraid to bump to any. At the center of the room was a large white table occupied by a a variety of folders, papers, notebooks, blueprints, doll pieces and a few instruments I assume are tools. There is only a single chair. There is a blackboard besides the table almost as big; decorated with rough planning and notes written in alphabets I don't recognize. From the messy doodles at the side, I'm pretty sure it's Ion's doing though.