16 || Cursed Queen

Inside the watchtower, Felix relished the freedom from the constant downpour of rain. He shivered, clinging pitifully to the cloak draped over him as if it could provide any sort of comfort while it was soaked through. Aiko lingered by his side, eyeing the two guards warily as they went about setting out food for them to eat. They spoke to each other quietly in Nivean, occasionally casting glances back at Felix. Every time they did, Aiko would stiffen ever so slightly. Once her hand brushed his arm as if to cling to it, but she quickly withdrew again with an awkward gasp.

Without understanding what was being said, Felix could only attempt to appear as unthreatening as possible. It wasn't that difficult; his wounded shoulder would do its best to prevent him from doing anything extreme. Since Aiko had told them about it, he doubted they would regard him with as much fear as they would have otherwise. Or perhaps I shouldn't even assume they would fear me. My reputation doesn't seem to have spread this far.

That thought pulled his lips down into a frown. He had fought so hard for a place where he could be no one, and now he was desperate to hide his wound behind the name he had built for himself.

How backward of you, Felix, he chided himself.

The short guard eventually smiled at them as he pulled away from the boxes of rations—a makeshift kitchen as nice as there ever would be in a place like this. "I can tend to your wound while your food is being prepared," he said, waving for Felix to sit in the chair closest to him. When Felix didn't move, the guard sighed and turned to address Aiko instead. "There should be spare clothes in the room below if you would like to change, Your Majesty."

"I'll wait here with Felix while you dress his wound." She lifted her chin, though her fingers curled around the fabric of her skirt. Mud and dirt clung to the once-brilliant crimson dress. The gold stitching had dulled from being soaked. With the hem torn to her ankles and her hair falling in messy, tangled curls, she looked very un-queenly. Even so, she met the soldier's gaze and held it. "I... would like to learn, if you could show me. Please."

The familiar melody of a lie floated easily and naturally from her lips, despite the way her words snagged on her weariness. She didn't so much as look at him, as if she was trying to play the indifferent queen who was only repaying a favor. A life for a life, an eye for an eye, she tried to project. The guard seemed to understand this as he didn't press her—or perhaps he didn't push because she held a position of power over him. She still had a name to hide behind: Niveus's cursed princess, now crowned queen.

The guard sighed. "If you feel you must," he said, defeated. He turned sharply on his heels and left them standing there. A staircase at the far side of the small room carried him to the next floor, out of sight and almost out of mind.

It took little more than a soft tug from Aiko to seat Felix in the chair set out for him. He sank against the stiff, wooden back with a sigh, eager to take the weight off his feet. Aiko didn't wait for him to get comfortable before she began to fiddle with the clasp on his cloak. Due to the trembling of her fingers, it seemed to take longer than it should have. She muttered a curse under her breath; this time, when she did, she didn't spare him a bashful glance.

Softly, he pushed her hand away. "It's okay. I can unhook it myself."

"With one hand?"

He snorted. Sliding one finger under the silver clasp, he pulled until it clicked loose. A sly grin found its way to his face as he lifted his head. "I've had this cloak for a long time, you know," he teased.

She didn't so much as acknowledge his efforts and wordlessly tugged the cloak away. Her gaze settled on the floor as she bundled the thick fabric around her arms. Some part of him expected to hear a jab next from her lips, but she remained deathly silent. Even her face was half hidden in shadows when she looked at him again. The shadows danced, coaxed by the candlelight that illuminated the room. The flame in her eyes did not, however.