4.16 - Lovely

"I saw your room," Lovely said, pausing in the stairwell.

Olaf stood on the landing above her, blocking her path to the roof. He appeared surprised to see her standing there, but recovered quickly. "I thought that was best. You need to know everything about Olaf, since Olaf knows everything about you. Was expecting you to take more time in that room, are the others all right?"

Her stomach flipped as if she was on a boat bounced by waves. The fact that Olaf thought that room would help her understand his motivation repulsed her. She drew her lips in a straight line; she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of conversation.

"Come, let's talk and forget about," he waved his hands to the stairs leading up, "the nonsense going on out there." He opened the door to the third floor and stepped aside, coaxing her into the empty offices on the other side. Stacks of chairs and desks surrounded the stairs, awaiting removal. She didn't want to go, but Jose and Diego appeared behind her, sandwiching her in. With a sigh she followed Olaf.

Olaf glanced out the windows at the smoke rising from below. A flash of terror crossed his features, but was gone just as quickly. "Go put the fire out," he ordered Jose.

Jose groaned, but ducked around Lovely and hopped down the stairs.

"You sent those men to the farmhouse," Lovely said.

Olaf stared her down, his jaw moving back and forth as he ground his teeth. "It was never intended to happen like that," he finally said, as if to make it better. "They were supposed to scare Kyle, make you guys leave there to join me. It was lonely here and you were so close."

Diego shifted uncomfortably beside Olaf, wanting to be anywhere but in this room. Regardless, he kept his gun aimed at Lovely.

"You killed him," Lovely said.

"He never deserved you, you know."

"He was a good man," Lovely shot back. "He loved me and I loved him. What more is there?" She didn't know why she was arguing about this with Olaf. The man loved nobody.

"But what did he have? What could he offer you? This building is mine. This business. He had a farmhouse you squatted in. You deserve better," Olaf said.

"He was your family! He talked about coming here to see you but then things got complicated and we were going to wait until spring and then..." Lovely couldn't continue because she didn't want to think about Kyle anymore.

"And you came right away! You knew you could trust Olaf," Olaf beamed.

"You never even knew me before he died."

"But I heard of you! We talked and he raved about you and then when the nanobots turned he told me you both were coming and then, suddenly, you weren't," Olaf said.

"And in what world do you think me learning all of this now would make me want to stay with you?" Lovely asked.

Olaf shrugged. Diego kicked the carpet at his feet. "I thought you would eventually let him go. But you weren't going to do that so I told you."

Lovely nodded. At least he could be honest if he wanted. "OK, so after all this, after all you've done. I need you to do one thing for me that I actually want. You have to shut this down, Olaf. This isn't right."

"I can't do that," Olaf said. He sounded innocent, but his eyes narrowed in anger. He gave a slight nod to Diego.

Diego stepped forward. She didn't think Olaf would order him to shoot her, but she also doubted Diego would follow orders that closely. "If he comes too close, I'll kill him," Lovely warned.