Chapter 15: A Lesson in Defence

~~~

"I'm Bang Chan."

This name held no significance to Jeongin, as Bang was a popular enough last name, but the way that he said his name, with such confidence and pride and another quick grin, intrigued Jeongin. 'How', he thought to himself, 'can he give off this kind of aura?'.

"You know, you should really learn how to protect yourself." Bang Chan said.

"How?" Jeongin asked. "They are so much stronger than me."

Bang Chan paused. "I can teach you if you want."

"How?" Jeongin asked again.

"Well..." Bang Chan thought for a few moments then continued, "I'm free after classes some days. I have a study group and some prefect activities, but that's really it. I can do Thursdays if you want."

Thursdays worked for Jeongin, so they made a plan. They would meet outside the library and Bang Chan would lead him to the Room of Requirements, whatever that was. Then Bang Chan would teach him some tips and tricks and BOOM! No more Jihun and Heesoo to worry about. At least that's what they hoped. Bang Chan was still going to take them to Professor Sprout, just in case.

Bang Chan escorted Jeongin back to the Ravenclaw common room as soon as he finished patching Jeongin up.

~~~

A few days later, Jeongin was sitting at his usual library table working on his latest astronomy assignment when a figure plopped down on the chair beside him.

"Hey, it's Thursday." Jeongin looked up and there Bang Chan was, grinning. "I hope you didn't forget about our lesson. I was up late all week trying to figure out what to teach you!" he said energetically.

"Oh, no I didn't forget." Jeongin said hurriedly. He had spent the past few days wishing that Bang Chan would forget. He didn't need any more people involved with him. Yes, Bang Chan seemed like a nice guy, but what if he turned out to be nosy? Jeongin now only wished that he could get it over with already. The sooner he took the little 'lesson', the sooner it would be done with.

"Well then, let's go little guy!" Bang Chan said with a grin. He then helped Jeongin to his feet and led him down the corridors of Hogwarts.

It seemed like the duo were going in circles. At one point, Jeongin was convinced that they were lost. They had been going in corridors and passages for almost ten minutes when Bang Chan led them to a stop in front of a seemingly blank wall.

"Here we are!" he exclaimed and, when Jeongin sent him a confused look, he laughed. He then proceeded to walk up and down the hallway five times. The fifth time, a door appeared.

Jeongin proceeded to look at the door in amazement until Bang Chan grabbed his arm again and pulled him inside the room with a laugh.

"What kind of place is this!" Jeongin asked. He dashed around the room. In the center of the room was a large foam mat. He stepped hesitantly onto the mat. Bang Chan hopped onto the map, making Jeongin stumble slightly.

"Ready to start?" He asked excitedly. Jeongin nodded carefully. Before he could blink, he was already on his back, Bang Chan holding Jeongin's head carefully.

"Well," Bang chan began hesitantly, "at least we know where to start." He helped Jeongin back to his feet.

"What about 'protego'? Have you learned it yet?" Jeongin shook his head. Bang Chan nodded thoughtfully and then proposed that would be the first thing they worked on. He proceeded to drag Jeongin to the center of the mat.

"Protect yourself." he said and then a bouncy ball hit Jeongin right between his eyes. He stumbled backwards before another ball hit him in the arm.

"Well... Protect yourself." Bang Chan repeated with a grin. Another ball flew past Jeongin.

Jeongin focused, waved his wand, and chanted, "Protego!" At first nothing happened. Not even a slight spark flew off his wand. He tried again. Thump. The bouncy ball hit his arm.

"Protego!" Nothing.

"Protego!" Nothing. The bouncy ball hit him in the back.

"... Protego?" Still nothing.

"Don't ask it. Tell it!" Bang Chan urged.

"Protego!" Jeongin yelled forcefully. And there it was. A slight glow flickered at the end of his wand. Magic! Then the ball hit him square in the nose.

"Ouch!" he yelped. Bang Chan ran up to him and inspected his face worriedly.

"Sorry! Did I hurt you?!" He asked, carefully examining Jeongin's nose. Jeongin shook off the older boy.

"No. Let's go again." He was feeling motivated now.

Ball after ball were projected at him and ball after ball hit him. Jeongin was so close. Each time he flicked his wand, more of that strange light would come out. After one specifically fast ball bounced off his head, he felt a surge of emotions. He focused inwardly and tried once more.

"Protego!" he said energetically. And it happened. A sphere of a weird light surrounded his body and the next ball hit it, bouncing back at Bang Chan. The next few balls followed suit and Jeongin turned to Bang Chan. There was a large grin on the hufflepuff's face and he ran up to Jeongin and embraced him.

"You did it!" Bang Chan squealed. He ruffled Jeongin's black hair cheerfully. A small smile slipped onto Jeongin's face. He, despite himself, was proud. Seeing that smile, Bang Chan's only grew.

"Look!" he said, poking Jeongin's cheek. "We both have dimples!" He was very pleased at this discovery. Jeongin playfully shoved him off and held his wand up again.

"You got any more spells?" He asked. The success of the first spell felt thrilling and couldn't wait to start again.

"Well..." Bang Chan started hesitantly. He didn't want to teach the first year any violent spells. Violence only breeds violence, after all. But then an idea came to him and he continued, "Have you heard of 'Expelliarmus' before?"

Jeongin had not, so Bang Chan immediately went up to him and started to set up. In the back of the Room of Requirement, there was a weird dummy-like object with a wand-like stick on the end of it. Bang Chan dragged to the center of the mat floor and then stood back, hands on his hips.

"Here we go. Now try it, mate." He said cheerfully.

"Try it?" Jeongin asked. He didn't even know what the spell did, so how was he supposed to try it? Bang Chan, realizing this, laughed at himself and stood up in front of the weird figure for a demonstration.

He flicked his wand elegantly and the stick in the figure's hand flew across the room back at Bang Chan, whose hand was open in anticipation. "Voila," he said with a flourish of his hands. "This is the best way to disarm your opponent, so if you use this, it will make it much more difficult for them to threaten you."

Jeongin looked up at the older boy hopefully, stepped onto the mat, and began to practice. Like before, he struggled to get the hang of it. Then, like before, he got it. The warm feeling of magic swam down his arm and the stick quickly flew toward him. It almost hit him straight in the nose, but he had done it!

Jeongin looked up at the ceiling in what was a mixture of giddy excitement and contentment. He had fixed things with Hyunjin, was learning how to defend himself, and had made a new friend! His life just couldn't get any better!

Well, fingers crossed anyway.

~~~

I finally updated! Please Comment!!