Chapter 2: The Glow Cloud

Today is the day. The day Meredith is finally going to get the ATA gene. (Finally, no stupid marines, no more getting distracted by her husband. NO MORE!) Because Carson finally feels ready to up the testing to human trials. Which, yeah okay, doesn't sound the greatest, but having no marines in her space makes up for it. She even has a device she plans on testing once she gains the gene. She found it in one of the labs the expedition discovered over three days after settling in Atlantis. It's a personalized shield that will completely cover and protect whomever puts it on. The best part is that it's a mentally activated device, so when she feels the need to turn it off she should be able to deactivate it. So cool!

"Are you sure you want to do this, Mare?" John interrupts her thought process.

Mare turns to look at her husband. He's lying on their bed with his hands resting behind his head. "Yeah, I am. I'm tired of having to wait for someone else to operate the Ancient devices we come across. Also, there aren't enough gene carriers in the Science department as there is, so if the Gene therapy works more of them can go through the procedure."

John gets up and walks over to where she's finishing with her hair. They lock eyes as he wraps his arms around her waist, "As long as you're sure. But you know," John smirks mischievously, "I never mind being your guinea pig."

Mare's mouth drops open, "John!"

John smiles innocently before kissing the right side of her neck. Mare shrugs away from his mouth as she breaks free from his arms, "Oh no! You are not going to drag me back into your bed!"

John licks his lips and starts corralling her toward the bed, "I think you'll find, that bed is ours sweetheart."

Mare chuckles as she ducks around him and heads to the door, "That may be true on any other day, but when you try to make me late, it's your bed, darling!"

Mare hears John groan in defeat as she walks out the door. She turns and blows him a kiss before it closes between them and she heads off to Medical.

It takes her about twenty minutes, two staircases, and one wrong turn (give her a break she's only had like twelve actual hours of the three days they've been in Atlantis to figure out where everything is and even then, she hasn't been to the Medical bay) to arrive at Medical. She walks through the infirmary part, heading straight to the lab area.

"Ah, there ya are Mare, I was beginnin' ta think tha' I'd need ta send out a search party for ya," Carson says when he sees her walk through the archway, "I'm no' quite ready yet, but it'll no' take but a few minutes."

Meredith nods as she looks around the area before her eyes catch on a glass cage filled with white mice. She walks over and crouches down to be eye level with the mice, "Are these the mice that were tested before?"

Carson glances over as he fills a syringe, "Aye, cute lil buggers, huh?"

"Depends on your definition of cute, but sure, I guess," Mare stands up and faces Carson, "I think I would have preferred looking at a cat. Now cats, cats are cute. I wish I didn't have to leave mine on earth. Poor Al. I bet John's happy about that at least. Al and John hate each other. It's hilarious."

Carson shakes his head before patting the bed next to him, "Sit down, I'm ready."

Meredith walks over and hops on the bed. She holds out her left arm, bared and ready to go due to her t-shirt. Carson raises his eyebrow and, grabbing her right arm, prepares her for the gene therapy, "I'm surprised ya were so eager ta volunteer for this, Mare."

"Are you kidding?" Meredith looks at Carson in disbelief, "A chance to not have to deal with asking marines to help out is a dream come true! With this I won't have to repeat everything in laymen's terms!"