Chapter 1

Angela
1993.

The blaring sound of my alarm woke me up, while the sunshine peering through my sheer curtains hit my face. I couldn't over sleep if I wanted to. I lay in bed for a moment and I pray, before getting up and getting my most need morning stretch in.

Today is the day I start my new job at Cater High as one of the 9th grade English/ Creative writing teachers. I must say I am excited to start this new position,because I love teaching kids and staying in St. Petersburg wasn't an option.

I walk over to the radio turning it on so I can get my hygiene routine started. " Good morning everybody, you're listen to KQBT. up next we have a little throwback for y'all."  Deniece Williams' Free starts to play as I walk into the bathroom. I look in the mirror I say aloud "Good morning gorgeous" with a smile plastered on my face.

Whispering in his ear
My magic potion for love
Telling him, I'm sincere
And there's nothing too good for us

"And I've just got to be me,me,me" I sing as I begin getting ready. Today is going to be a good day I think to myself.

45 minutes later..

I'm finished getting ready on time. Usually it takes me longer to get ready because I have a concert in the shower, and a after party when I get out, but considering it's my first day I can't be late. Walking out my room I set my belongings on the couch. I glance down at my watch. 6:20 it reads. "Perfect! enough time for me to eat" I mumble to myself. I go in the kitchen to make something quick to eat. I decided on a bagel w/ strawberry cream cheese and a fruit bowl with a side orange juice.

It doesn't take me but five minutes to eat and clean up. I walk in the living room to get my things and the house phone starts ringing. I quickly pick it up.

"Hellooo???" I ask picking up my things from the couch.

"Well Good morning sister girl" my best friend Whitney's voice rang from the other end.

"Ahhhh Good Morning Nippyyyy, what a surprise. you're never up this early."

"I was calling to wish you good luck today, and to say I am so proud of you ang" I could hear her getting emotional on me.

"Awww thanks nippy, but I know you're not over there getting emotional on me." I smile into the phone.

"Girl please, real G's don't cry" she says trying to contain her laughter.

"I'm not fooling with you! bye you are going to make me late!" I say laughing at her foolishness. That's Whitney for you.

"Alright give them hell girl. I love you bye"

" I will and I love you too"

And with that I hung up the phone and I left the house making my way to the school. Which is about 10 minutes away from my apartment. I pulled up to the school and I found a parking spot in the teachers parking area. I grabbed my things and got out of the car making my way into the school.

When I got to the in the school I made sure to go to the main office to ask for directions because I had no clue where my class room was located. I approach the secretary who's name tag read 'Alfre'.

"Hi, excuse me. I'm Angela Bassett, the new freshmen English teacher. And I need help finding room 227" she looks up from the computer stopping whatever she was doing and greeted me.

"Hello! Oh Yes, principal Hayes told me about you. I can show you to your classroom. Usually he gives tours but he's not in today, and Vice principal Walker is in a meeting. I'm Alfre by the way" she said walking from behind the front desk sticking her hand out for me to shake it.