Chapter fourteen

When I heard Amy scream I bolted upright grabbing a knife, my crossbow was still in the trunk of the car. I rushed out of my tent looking for Amy. I saw her at Dale's rv. There was a walker biting into her arm. I went running straight for the walker but it started biting her neck. It was too late. She crumpled to the ground but still alive. "I'm here Amy. I'm here." I held her hands in mine. "Jaxx..." She looked up eyes glazed over. She was losing so much blood. I put a hand to her neck trying to stop the bleeding enough so Andrea could say goodbye. Andrea ran over "Amy no no no Amy. Please god no." She cried holding her sister. Amy looked at her and smiled "Andrea...." She passed away.

I backed up in shock. A walker was right behind me. I heard it groan and turned just in time. I swung my knife getting it right through the ear. It fell to the ground. I looked at myself. I was covered in Amy's blood. Because of these walkers. I went on a rampage. I killed walkers left and right. My mind raced, my heart sped up, my hands moved without me even thinking fully. One by one the walkers fell. Hatrely assisted in rounding them up so i could be the one to kill them. These things that attacked us. They needed to die before they killed anyone else. I stood in the middle of them. Maybe twenty. I looked around and saw no more walkers before I fell to my knees staring off, zoned out. Harley went around sniffing each corpse making sure each one was actually dead. We weren't safe. It dawned on me. We were never safe, just lucky. It was possible our luck had just run out.

Everyone slowly walked back to camp to see who made it. Carol and Andrea were crying, Ed was dead, Amy was dead, a few others. Where was Daryl and Merle? I didn't see them anywhere. Shane was gone too. Rick tried to talk to me "Jaxx. Are you okay? Are you bit?" I didn't even respond. He walked over to Carl and Lori and held them. Sophia was crying. Carol tried to comfort her. Andrea was still on the ground holding Amy. I had no idea how long I stayed on the ground staring. "Jaxx? Where's Jaxx" I heard my name and looked up. It was Daryl and Merle. Thy looked over at me worried. They ran up to me. Daryl dropped his crossbow and knelt in front of me "ye bit?" He asked. I shook my head no. "Thank god." I heard Merle say putting his hands on his head turning to look around.

Daryl helped me up. I stared at him "Amy's dead." Was all I could muster up the energy to say. He looked at Amy and shook his head "I'm sorry Jaxx." I teared up and motioned at myself "its her blood. She died in my arms. I...I...tried." He grabbed the back of my head and pulled me into a hug "shhh. Its okay. We'll get ye cleaned up." "I tried to save her Daryl. I did." He held me tighter "I know ye did. I know. Shhh." Merle came over and put a hand on my back "Jaxx. Pull yerself together. Daryl take her to the lake an get her cleaned up."

He led me to the lake. When we got there he walked into the lake pulling me slowly in too. It was cold but I didn't care. He gently wiped the blood off my arms and hands. Then my face. "Dunk yerself an scrub yer hair under the water." I did what I was told. When I dunked under I was pulled back to reality. The cold snapped me out of shock. I stayed u der a moment trying to get as much blood out of my hair as possible. When I came back up I hugged Daryl "stay with me tonight? Please?" He pulled away enough to look into my eyes "a'course I will."