Note From the Archivist

The World Archivist's general notes, for any newcomer to Windport, and for anyone else who finds out about all this. I didn't really feel like doing this, but Victoire has informed me that most people—especially those outside our permutation—don't actually know this stuff.

First, some definitions:

Permutation - Literally speaking, a number of different ways things can be arranged, but we here at Windport use this term to refer to any other version of Earth, where something exists differently.

Windport - The place I've called home for a while now. It's more closely connected to other Earths than any other permutation, and that is why Sliders all find their way here.

Sliders - People with psychic abilities, who learned to channel their power through a Linekey in order to Lineskip—That is, travel to another permutation in a single step, simply passing through the fabric of most worlds' known reality.

Talein (Tah-LAY-in) - Creatures beyond our full comprehension, so I'll just lay out what we do know. They're immensely powerful, they each embody an idea or ideal, they live well beyond the Kalena (their language for human) realm, and they can't directly act in our world. They can, however, merge with a person to grant as much power as a person can handle. They insist that they're not deities; they claim that godhood is far above them. No one has been able to gain further information about a true God or Gods.

Tal - An immature Talein. While they behave like a child, they are the same age as any other Talein. They seem to grow and learn at different rates.

Subtalein - The antithesis of a Talein, seemingly created to counter and limit a Talein's power (though they do not seem to hold the same strength as a full Talein; their power is closer to a Tal). They can directly interact with the Kalena Realm.

Further notes, at Victoire's request:

-Only one of each Talein exists. Where another version of myself may exist, the same Talein has the ability to appear in different permutations. This may explain why they seem to hold preferences between people they've never met. Subtalein, however, seem to have an alternate self for each permutation.

-Subtalein also seem to limit how many Talein there can be. There is no Talein of Reason, but there are Subtalein of the Frenzy that seems to fill the same purpose.