chapter fourteen

"Rayna! We will take off without you!"

Bucky was definitely growing impatient, but he could wait a couple more minutes.

Rayna was double-checking the house to make sure that she hadn't forgotten anything. Her, Steve, Bucky, and Nat were going back to New York this morning, but she was intentionally dragging her feet a bit. She was going to miss the peace and laughter that come with staying on the Barton homestead. But it was time to go back to her life in the city.

Throwing her bag over her shoulder, she sighed and left her borrowed bedroom. She was sure that the kids would be happy to have their space back, but Rayna worried about where she was going to go now. Yes, there was Bucky's place for now, but that was only temporary. This place felt more like home than anywhere else had in a long time.

She made her way down the stairs and then suddenly felt bodies pressing in on her from all sides. Clint, Laura, Cooper, Lila, and Nate had jumped on Rayna the second she hit the landing, and were enveloping her in a Barton family hug. She smiled and laughed. "I'm really going to miss you guys."

Clint pulled back so he could see Rayna's face. "And we'll miss you. Take care of yourself, okay? And let us know if you need anything or need to get away again. You are always welcome here. No matter what."

Tears sprang up in the corners of her eyes. "Thank you, Clint."

Rayna felt Laura's gentle hands reach up and wipe the tears from her face. "Everything will be alright, you'll see. Now you better get going before they go without you! I've learned the hard way that Avengers don't make empty threats."

With a chuckle, Rayna gave one final squeeze to each person and made her way out of the house. The Quinjet was sitting out in the nearby field with the back door open so she could board. She could see Steve's blonde head peeking out to make sure she was coming, and Bucky standing a few feet away with his arms crossed.

"I was just about to run in there and drag you out, Ray. What was taking so long?" Bucky turned and walked alongside her as they entered the jet.

She threw her bag into the pile with everyone else's luggage and sat down in the jump seat behind Nat, who was in the pilot's seat, of course.

"Just saying goodbye, Buck. It had been a while since I saw Clint, Laura, and the kids. And I don't know when I'll be back." Rayna sighed as she sat back and rested her head against the seat. "You know I'm not good with goodbyes."

Steve cleared his throat and glanced over to her, a soft expression on his face. "It's not goodbye though. I can bring you back whenever you want to visit."

She smiled at Steve. "Thank you."

He nodded his head once and stood up to join Nat as co-pilot. She watched as the two of them checked over everything, pressed a bunch of buttons and flipped switches, until the back door started to rise and the engines started. Bucky reached over and grasped Rayna's hand. She hadn't noticed that he had taken the seat across from her.

Giving him a half-hearted smile, she gave his hand a gentle squeeze and watched out the window as the jet rose into the air, making the Barton home look like a tiny playhouse.

Yes, she would hopefully be back soon.

---------------

One Week Later

A sudden, loud knock had Rayna rising from the couch to go and see who it was.

Bucky and Emily had gone out for the morning, leaving her alone to watch whatever trashy TV she could find and just sit with herself for a while.

She didn't mind staying as a guest in their home, but Bucky was constantly hovering around her or asking her if she had spoken to Steve lately. Rayna knew that the two of them talked almost every day, but she didn't feel like reaching out to him yet. To be honest, she was kind of avoiding everything at the moment.

When she reached the front door, she peered through the peep hole and sighed. Of course. She should have guessed. Pulling it open, Rayna placed a hand on her hip and tilted her head to the side.

"What are you doing here, Steve? I'm sure Bucky told you he was out."

He widened his stance and slid his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "He did, but I came to see you."

"Me? Why?" She cocked an eyebrow and looked him over briefly. Shit, why did he have to be so gorgeous? His jeans fit him just right, his hair was just barely styled so one blonde lock had fallen onto his forehead, and his shirt left nothing to the imagination.

"It's been a week since I've seen or heard from you, I just want to make sure you're okay." Steve's blue eyes looked especially blue today, and they were full of worry and nerves.

Rayna sighed. "I'm fine, Steve. Just taking some time for myself. And you?"

He dropped his eyes to the ground, then looked up at Rayna through his long eyelashes. "I was curious if you wanted to... go out sometime? Dinner or something?"

She paused at his request. Was it too soon? Was she ready to get into it with Steve? She still hadn't called or texted Oliver to see when she could get her things from his apartment, so was it really a good idea to be starting a new relationship when she hadn't cut herself free from the old one yet?

But Steve wasn't new. This was her Steve Rogers. The one that she had loved so many years ago, and still loved. Bucky's voice rang through her head. Give him a chance.

Rayna smiled at Steve, who started to brighten when he saw the look on her face.

"That depends, Rogers. When are you picking me up?"

---------------

Going on a date! Squee!

But don't forget about Oliver... he isn't quite done yet.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!