CHAPTER SIX

The sky was completely grey and it looked like it would rain soon. Hvitserk took a sip of his coffee as his eyes traveled up and down the street under his (and Ivar's) apartment. It was on the city centre and there was always people on the street. That morning, and although the weather wasn't the best, it seemed to be even busier than any other day. He kept his phone pressed against his ear, listening carefully.

"She's still sleeping now" Thora spoke softly, even if she knew stella wouldn't wake up even if someone dropped a bomb on her bedroom "Rough night"

"Yeah, sounds like it" Hvitserk sighed, he was worried when she didn't answer his messages and decided to call in the morning "How was she before going to sleep?"

"Exhausted, I had never seen her like this" thora sounded worried, and that troubled Hvitserk even more "Not even the first weeks after the breakup, it's like everything is exploding at the same time, seeing Freydis didn't help"

He raised an eyebrow, nodding even if Thora couldn't see him.

"Was Freydis there too?"

He had listened to Thora telling him the details of her argument with Torvi. Hvitserk agreed with stella, and he also found annoying how everyone in that side of the family seemed eager to couple her up with Alfred. He had nothing against Alfred, he kind of liked him, but it was too soon to try and force a new relationship on her.

"Yeah, she came with... This girl with black hair, I don't remember..."

"Blaeja" Hvitserk nodded "Yes, she's Sigurd's girlfriend"

"Stella wasn't happy to see her, but I must say, she handled it pretty well" she giggled "Even Freydis looked surprised, but she drank too much... And then she saw something"

Hvitserk frowned.

"What do you mean she saw something?"

Thora hesitated.

"She... Told me on our way home, she saw Freydis... I really shouldn't say this, it's none of my business..."

"What did she see, Thora?"

Hvitserk heard a deep breath and she cleared her throat.

"She saw Freydis with another guy, making out on a small alley next to the club" she lowered her voice. Hvitserk widened his eyes, and his eyes fixed on the closed door of Ivar's bedroom. He was still in there, probably in a bad mood because he was in pain and refused to take painkillers the night before.

"I don't know why it doesn't surprise me" he scoffed.

"Stella said she didn't expect it" Thora muttered.

"Well, I did" Hvitserk clenched his jaw "She manipulated my brother since day one, and Ivar might be as smart as he wants, but he's still stupid when it comes to women, and he bought it, she dictates his whole life now"

"She's also cheating on him, apparently" Thora sighed "What a fucking mess, are you going to tell him?"

"I don't know" he shrugged "I'll see, depends on him getting on my nerves or not"

He heard her chuckle at the other side of the phone and it made him smile.

"I have to leave, I'm going to the grocery store to buy some food, her fridge is empty"

"Okay, call me if there's any news"

"I will" she hummed "Bye, Hvitserk"

"Bye" he couldn't help but smile. He really liked Thora.

Hvitserk left his phone on the kitchen counter, drinking the rest of his now almost cold coffee. He felt bad for Ivar. After his entire life struggling, he had managed to find some stability with stella, his entire family had noticed, and Hvitserk realized his brother was much more pleasant to be with when she was there too. Maybe he didn't want to scare her, maybe he understood she had no relation to him so if he mistreated her she'd leave, maybe he did love her.