Chapter One: Emissary of the Dead

My dearest Kumiko,

I know not how or why you brought me into this strange hell, but I vow to find the answer soon. Until then, I pray that you stay loyal because you are all I have left in the world.

Your mortal husband, Ichiro

******

Winter, the 60th year of the Shōwa era

(25 February 1985)

A cold wind swept down the dark street, hitting Ichiro in the back and causing him to stumble before he regained his balance. Stunned by the occurrence, he glanced around for a sign of the supernatural since this was the first time he'd felt the effects of the weather. However, he saw nothing but the drab houses and barren trees of light that filled this ugly world.

Ichiro resumed walking despite knowing that what he was doing bordered on madness. He would never find Kumiko at this rate, and though the wise choice would be to give up, his feelings were too strong for him to settle for such an action.

I'll keep searching for you, even if it takes me centuries! Ichiro declared in his mind while a shadow crept up from behind. A darkness passed over his body a moment later, and he stopped in alarm. "Who are you? Answer me!"

"Feel free to turn around. I mean you no harm," A gruff male voice sounded in response.

If Ichiro had a heart, he was sure it would have thumped. Nevertheless, he heeded the stranger's suggestion and shifted his heels. A chill ran through his incorporeal form as he came face to face with an older man who possessed gaunt but distinguished features.

"Good evening, Ichiro," the man greeted, flashing a row of straight white teeth. "My name is Hideo Tanimura, and I've heard a few things about you."

"You... what?" Ichiro muttered while finding it hard to believe his own ears. "We've never even met!"

Hideo turned aside with a chuckle, making him appear slightly less threatening. "We didn't have to. Your face and name are well-known among some circles in the Underworld, and you could say that I did my research before coming here."

Ichiro took a step back, unable to fathom why he would be famous anywhere. "My face and name? What are you talking about?"

"Oh, you poor young man." Hideo patted a cold hand against Ichiro's shoulder, prompting him to freeze in discomfort. "I'm afraid that I'll have to enlighten you."

Ichiro prepared himself for the worst, since this was the realm of the dead that Hideo was talking about. He also wondered why he had never been there, but those thoughts were put to rest when Hideo presented the shocking news.

"According to your records, you gained some admirers almost as soon as you passed away in the fifth year of Keichō. A group of female oni became so enamored by your good looks that they almost beat each other to death trying to decide who would ravish you first."

"That is worrying," Ichiro commented, though he could not help but feel a little flattered. "What happened next?"

"Well, that's where it gets interesting. The incident would have been forgotten had word not followed of your marriage to a kitsune. Suddenly, you became one of the most desirable mortal men around, and Queen Izanami herself was tempted to take you as a concubine."

Ichiro's jaw dropped. He had heard legends of the goddess of the Underworld, but never in a thousand years could he have imagined becoming esteemed enough to catch her attention. The whole story seemed too absurd to be true, so he sought to challenge Hideo's claims. "No. You're insane, and I refuse to believe this lie of yours."

Hideo gave a smile that only irritated him more. "If I was lying, would I know your name? And the year of your death?"

"Very well," Ichiro replied with an uneasy sigh. "Tell me what happened next."

"The ensuing disputes went on for long enough that you were reincarnated before any decision could be made. Which was for the best, since you were allowed to stay loyal to your wife and saved from a pampered but miserable existence."

"That's... a relief to hear..."

"In the end, three pages were dedicated to you in a history book that I read prior to arriving here. I had to know who I'd be dealing with after all."

"Wait," Ichiro raised his voice in alarm. "What do you mean by 'dealing?' It's not something bad, is it?"

"Of course not," Hideo reassured. "You've experienced a resurgence in popularity this week, and I just had to grab the chance."

"I'm sorry. You've lost me."

Hideo paused for a second, then cleared his throat. "I believe you've met my daughter, Yukari?"

Although a few days had passed, Ichiro could still remember his fraught encounter with that strange young woman. He studied Hideo's features again and found a strong resemblance between the two, so he concluded that the older man spoke the truth.

"Yes, I have. What about it?"

"You might be able to lead me to her. She does seem fond of you, after all."

Ichiro's mood soured at those words. He crossed his arms in anger. "No, I won't. I cannot return her feelings when my heart still lies with Kumiko."

Hideo gawked for a moment before putting on a genial smile. "All right, I'll offer you another condition. In exchange for a reunion with your wife, I want you to arrange for Yukari to meet me again. How does that sound?"

Ichiro had little idea of how to achieve the latter, but the chance of being led straight to Kumiko was too much of a blessing to ignore. He lowered his arms, ready to take a risk by trusting someone he had just met. "I accept your assistance. When should we start?"

"Right now," Hideo said with enthusiasm, picking up an unusually square but sturdy-looking bag. "Let's go, shall we?"

******

Mythology Notes:

- Oni are a type of yōkai known for being fierce and evil. They are usually portrayed as large and grotesque, with horns on their heads. Many of them are also said to reside in the Underworld, doing dirty work such as torturing sinners.

- Izanami-no-Mikoto, or Izanami, created the islands of Japan alongside her husband, Izanagi. She had many children but died giving birth to the god of fire. Afterward, Izanagi went looking for her in the land of the dead, only to find that she had become hideous and decayed in appearance. He ran away in fear, and feeling hurt by his betrayal, Izanami swore that she would kill 1000 people a day. Thus, their marriage ended, and she became ruler of the dead while he became ruler of the living.