Chapter 69

A couple days later Nancy and Vivian were helping me plan a wedding. I didn't want a big wedding. Something small and quiet. Vivian disagreed. She said that it should be the biggest part of my life. I found that funny. I never had big parties as a kid and I don't plan to now.

Dally brought me Mom's wedding dress. It was beautiful. Simple, yet elegant. The dress didn't exactly fit me, so Nancy and Vivian (who both learned to sew) adjusted it to my likings. It was shocking to see me in a wedding dress. It made the whole situation unreal.

Every night when I got off of work, Soda was waiting on the porch for me. He begged to see me in the dress but I wouldn't let him.

"Great things come to those who wait," I told him.

"Roe, we are getting married at 17 and 18. I'm pretty sure we didn't wait and this is only the greatest thing that has ever happened to me." He would retort.

I now stand in front of a mirror with my dress on. Vivian is pinning my hair up into a nice bun, and Nancy is outside making sure the boys had gotten Sodapop spruced up real good.

I'm nervous. Its not a bad type of nervousness, I know I want to do this, but the butterflies cease to stop. The girl standing in the mirror is not me. I mean, it is, but she looks different. She looks more graceful and more beautiful than I've ever been.

"Oh, come on, Mon. You look gorgeous. You always look gorgeous. You're seriously like the prettiest girl I've ever met." Vivian says.

"Oh stop it. You know thats not true. Just look at you!" I retort. She has on a long navy blue dress that frames her body in the perfect way. And makes her red hair pop. She rolls her eyes.

"You are the star of the show today. No one will be looking at me." She takes my veil and places it in my hair. "Done." She says with a satisfying smile.

"Okay, time to get this ball on the roll!" Nancy says as she walks in. She has been my wedding planner up until the last minute. She also looks striking in her navy blue dress. "Sodapop looks so handsome. He asked me if he could see you, but I told him not yet. He already had tears in his eyes and a big smile. He sure does love you." She tells me.

I smile. "Where is Dally?" I ask.

"He's behind that door. He is really nervous, you know." Vivian told me.

"What does he have to be nervous about?" A shaky giggle escapes my lips.

"He's got the most important job. Making sure you get to your fiancee without face planting. I do wish you practiced walking in those high heels a little more." Nancy says with pursed lips. I roll my eyes at her. I will be lucky if I make it all the way without tripping. My knees are unsteady and my legs are shaking. Suddenly, the piano starts playing. Vivian opened the door Dally was behind and he walked in.

He looks sharp. We didn't have money to get anyone but Sodapop a suit, but Dally is wearing a nice pair of slacks, and a plain button up top. He is carrying a bundle of flowers which I assume are for me to hold. He smiles when his eyes land on me.

"You look just like Mom." He whispered as he embraced me. He handed me the flowers and hooked his arm into mine. "Are you ready?" He asks.

"Dallas, don't let me fall." I order him. 

"What kind of best man would I be if I let the bride fall?" He asks with a smirk. I playfully hit his shoulder.

"Please, Dal."

"Alright, alright. I won't let you fall." He promised me. Vivian came over and placed a kiss on his cheek. Dal reached down and played with her hair. She smiled at him.

"Its my turn to go. You guys follow after me." She said. Suddenly, I was really scared. I know I want to marry him, but it is nerve racking. Vivian disapeared from the room.

"It's going to be okay, Mon." Dally tells me.

"I know. I'm sad mom isn't here, though. She would have loved this," I say with a frown.

"She is here, just not in the way you wanted her to be. You really think she would miss your wedding? No. She is probably standing right next to you." Tears formed in my eyes. "Hey, no crying. This is a happy day." Dally rubbed my shoulder.

"Thank you, Dal. For everthing. I love you," I say with a smile.

"I love you, too, kid. Are you ready to go?" He asks.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I say with a nervous laugh.

"You'll be fin-" my knee buckles and I almost fall. Dally catches me. "We haven't even gotten to the main hall yet!" He complained.

"I know! Its these silly shoes. I'm not used to wearing heels." I shrug.

"Why don't you take them off? Soda isn't wearing any shoes. Just socks." Dall tells me.

I told Soda that he didn't have to wear shoes to the wedding but he insisted in wearing socks. He told me no one wants to see his ugly feet on our wedding day. I laugh at the memory.

"Okay." I kick the high heels off. I remember that I wanted to wear them once. I decide that they are not for me.

"Better?" Dally asks.

"Better." I confirm.

When we entered the main hall, I kept my eyes on the ground. I could feel everyone staring at me and I made me uncomfortable. I didn't even invite a lot of people. Just the gang and Vivian. Soda invited a couple of his other friends so they are sitting in the chair we set up yesterday.

Once we get hfway through, I look up. My eyes immediately connect with Soda's. He has the biggest grin on his face and tears in his eyes. I smile back as I start to cry.

Seeing Soda made it easier for me to walk downt the isle. I ignored everyone else and kept my eyes on Soda. Steve was standing next to him. He patted Soda's back and whispered something to him.

Dally walked me up the stairs and went to pass me to Soda when I tripped into him. There was a couple of gasps from the audience, and my face started to burn. Soda caught me, and I hide my face in his shoulder.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yes," I mumble.

"You look beautiful," he whispered as he pulled me away from him. He looked me up and down and then leaned into me again. "Your dress is lovely, but I can't wait to take it off of you." He whispered in my ear. He pulled away with a smirk on his face. My face got impossibly hotter.

The ceremony was over quickly. I didn't want a long one based on the fact that the boys can't sit still while watching the television. Soon, we were saying the famous "I do's"

"Sodapop Patrick Curtis, do you take Monroe Lane Winston to be your wife?"

"I do," Soda said while smiling like an idiot at me.

"Monroe Lane Winston, do you take Sodapop Patrick Curtis to be your husband?"

"I do!"

"You may kiss the bride," Soda stepped forward and pressed his lips to mine.