𝘵𝘦𝘯

"Business and love don't mix."

•*•

•*•

The deafening silence.

It traveled to the very presence of Leticia Morelli as she sat on her sofa, her feet perched on the comfy cushions. A lit cigarette burned in her hand, the thought of it nonexistent from her attention for the moment as she bit the top of her nail lightly in anticipation.

The telephone which she had just hung up sat beside her on the side table, the call having been short but thorough. She was surprised to say the least when she heard the brummie voice of Tommy speak up over the line. She wasn't expecting him to call, he never did except for the time when she was in New York.

Their talk was short. It had happened so fast that the only clear message she had remembered from the call was that she was soon to be enveloped with company.

The clock ticked repetitively above the fireplace mantle, the time passing slowly only provoking her further.

Reaching forward to the ash tray that sat on the wooden piece of her sitting room table, she put out her cigarette before standing up. Wrapping her satin robe around her body, Lettie made her way up her stairs, heading to her bedroom to change.

By the end of the call, Tommy had told her to meet him at her stable. It was nearing half past five when the Shelby man came forth with his idea. She didn't know why she was to meet him there. She had dwindled it down to him wanting to check on his horse, but still, why so late?

Changing into a pair of comfy trousers and a simple white long sleeve, Lettie walked towards her closet cabinet to take her hanging coat within her grasp. Wrapping it over her shoulders, she then bent down to grab her boots. After she was fully changed, Leticia made her way out of her building and to her car. The Morelli Stables wasn't exactly in walking distance so as she drove calmly on the road, the extra time had left her to think. What if Tommy had some terrible news to give her? What ifs, what ifs, what ifs. Nothing had silenced her mind.

Seeing the wooden sign of Morelli Stables come into view, she parked her car to the side of the dirt path leading to the very place. Thomas's car was already there, the shiny black metal parked on the other side of hers.

Shutting the door behind her, Leticia made her way through the stables on light feet. Knowing exactly where the Shelby man would be, Lettie walked in the direction of the Arab filly's stable, and there, that's where she saw the outline of his figure. His hands remained tucked into his slack pockets as he ran a hand over the horses mane ever so softly. Creeping up behind him, Lettie halted right beside him, Tommy not looking to see who had joined him, for he already knew by the waft scent of the sweet airy perfume, that it was the hazel eyed beauty herself.