6

Their anniversary arrives with midnight kisses and burning touches, then the sun rises with the brightest, most joyous laughter when Donghyuck drags the oversized bear from his side of the wardrobe in the morning. He'd been guarding it and shushing the elder's questions. The surprise in Taeil's eyes is so genuine, pupils sparkling with so much delight that Donghyuck once again scorns himself for ever thinking that Taeil could be cheating; the elder sticks to his promises and Donghyuck knows he didn't even peek inside the wardrobe.

"This really is the best present." Taeil smothers the younger in kisses and they both laugh until their bellies ache and kiss until their lips turn sore.

Donghyuck is very content with the new charm he receives for his bracelet. It's a delicate crescent moon, and Taeil draws his attention to the tiny sunshine at the tip, made of a golden gemstone with cute rays engraved around the edge. To represent the two of them. Sun and moon. Night and day coming together as opposites but still soulmates, one fading into the other to create a full cycle like how their hands fit snug together as they walk to the restaurant that evening.

Without the buzz of another fake proposal, Donghyuck can really bask in his boyfriend's presence. They chat all night, voices hushed and giggles melodious, and when they leave, they walk through the park to meet their usual footpath. Dancing tree branches serenade them. Their hands swing between them and their steps remain steady, no need to rush because they have all night together. The moonlight paints a mosaic on the ground. Taeil marvels at it, like every time.

Proposing at night would be magical, Donghyuck decides. It's another detail to add to his plan. Between ten and eleven in the evening, when they're not too sleepy and the air isn't too cold, but the moon is high in the sky to bear witness. He could string fairy lights in the trees. The shining constellations would reflect in his eyes as he gazes up at the elder, and then in Taeil's eyes when he gazes back down. The stars would sing as they cry tears of joy in each other's arms and share passionate kisses.

The fantasy doesn't leave Donghyuck's head over the next few days. Driving to pick his boyfriend up from work, he smiles to himself at the image of the footpath decorated with pretty lights.

"Thank you for coming, love." Taeil slides into the passenger seat and leans to peck the younger's cheek.

"No problem." Donghyuck hopes his smile is just enough to show he's happy in his boyfriend's company without giving away that he spent the afternoon with Renjun, Jeno and Jaemin. Unlike the disgruntled reluctancy of his friends, the trip lifted his spirits and he glows with happiness.

Donghyuck kisses Taeil's cheek in return before they set off, and silence fills the car. It puzzles the younger. It unsettles him, even. Taeil looks out the window, bottom lip red from being bitten all day, forehead creased in faint concern, and Donghyuck reaches to switch the radio on. Taeil beats him to it, covering the button with a shake of his head.

"Tough day at work?"

Donghyuck swerves past a cyclist, eyes fixed on the road, but he can hear Taeil shuffle in his seat and take a few breaths, as though about to speak. He never finds the courage to do so. Donghyuck wants to push but knows he shouldn't. Taeil always comes to him when something's upset him and has never been one to shut away his feelings, unlike the emotional constipation Donghyuck is guilty of himself. So this is worrying.

They turn into their street. It wasn't really necessary to drive his boyfriend home, but they both enjoy the domesticity of being in their bubble and singing along to the latest hits on the radio for a short while to let off some steam after a long day. But today the radio goes untouched for the entire journey, and the air inside the car is too thick to budge for even a bit of pointless small talk. The tension of unspoken words makes it difficult to breathe.

Moonshine {Hyuckil} | completeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara