Chapter 9

At the outskirts of town. Pegasus made a perfect landing in a rocky gorge. Steve and Y/N land and they dismounts from Pegasus. A crowd had gathered at the scene of the accident. The two boys were trapped beneath a huge rock.

"Help!" one boy shouted.

"We're suffocating!" the other boy cried.

"Somebody call IX-I-I!" the first boy screamed.

Steve rushed to their side. "Easy fellas, you'll be all right." With a grunt, he lifted the rock. The boys were free. and run out from under it Y/N was amazed, but the townsfolk only clapped politely.

 "Jeepers, mister, you are really strong!" the first boy said.

Steve through the rock down "Well, try to be a little more carefulnext time, okay, kids?"

"We sure will!" the boys agreed with smiles and ran off with a wave. Away from the crowd they run up a slope to a waiting Loki. The god smiled at the two boys as he drunk from a glass. 

"A stirring performance, boys. I was really moved." The boys grinned as they transformed into Kaecilius and Yon-rogg. "And, hey, two thumbs way, way up for our leading lady." He looked down at Y/N.

Down below Y/N felt someone's eyes burn into her back. She glanced up the hill at Loki. Then she turned back to Steve with a guilty look on her face. "Get outta there, you big lug, while you still can."  she said quietly.

"Bucky, I did great." Steve said to Bucky. "They even applauded.. sort of." Bucky was about to congratulate him when a growling hiss sound echoed along the canyon walls.

"I hate to burst your bubble punk, but that ain't applause." said Bucky. The hissing grew louder and louder. Lightning flashed as a creature poked it's head from the dark inky depths of a cave in the mountain side. It was a giant serpent-like monster with scaly skin and sharp fangs.  A Hydra.

"B-b-bucky!" Steve gasped, "What do you call that thing?"

Bucky took cover. "Two words! Run for it!"

High above them Loki smiled. "Let's get ready to rumble!"

The Hydra lunged at Steve, but he tumbled away and drew his sword. Jumping to his feet, he used the skills Bucky had taught him to dodge the Hydra and keep it at bay.

"That's it." Bucky coached from behind a rock, "Dance around! Watch the teeth. Keep moving. Come on. Lead with yourleft!You other left!!" Steve struck out with his right. The Hydra struck him and sent him flying. Bucky rolled his eyes. Steve landed hard on the ground. Quickly he rolled to his feet and faced the Hydra. The Hydra lashed out with its tongue and caught Steve by the ankle. It flipped him in the air and-

Gulp!

It had swallowed Steve whole. Then let out a huge and satisfied burp. The Hydra smiled.

But then it's eyes crossed. A sick look spread across it's face. Then A bulge formed in her throat. With a roar, Steve slashed his way out of the monsters throat. The huge head cut from the body and flew through the air to the ground, landing in the middle of a group of people. Steve stood on the neck of the beheaded monster. For a moment it's body stayed stood in place, shacking. Then with a shudder, it crashed to the ground. This time the crowd clapped with enthusiasm.

"All right!" Bucky shouted as he rushed up to his student.

"See, Bucky." Steve swayed a little on his feet "That-- That wasn't so hard."

Above the scene, Loki is watching as Kaecilius and Yon-rogg shivered and gulped.

"Guys, guys, relax. It's only halftime."

Back down with Steve and Bucky, they hear rumbling from the Hydra's body.

"That doesn't sound good." Bucky muttered.

The spines begin to move, the the body stands up, the three new separate heads oozed from the wound, ready to strike.

"Definitely not good!" Bucky yells running for cover.

Seeing the danger Pegasus flies down to pick Steve up to help fight the Hydra. Together they soared into the sky. With a mighty blow, Steve sliced off one of the heads, but before he could attack another, six more grew in its place. Frantically Steve sliced off another head. Twelve more heads grew out to replace it. Faster and faster, Steve chopped at the hideous monster. Soon the monster had fifty heads.

"Will you forget that head-slicing thing!" Bucky yelled.

Suddenly one of the heads knocked Steve off Pegasus and he falls among heads and necks of Hydra. The Hydra wrapped its neck around Steve, squeezing him like a python. Four hissing heads dived for his. At the last second Steve slipped down in the coil. One head bit into the neck of another. As the neck uncoiled in pain, it flung Steve high into the air. Steve landed on the side of the cliff and is now pressed againstthe wall by Hydra's claw.

Loki had been watching every part of the battle. Now he leaned forward as a shiver of anticipation ran through him. "My favourite part of the game" he hissed. "sudden death."

All fifty of the monsters heads stared at him, raised up ready for the final attack. Thunder and lightning shook the canyon. At the last second Steve had an idea. As all the heads lunged at him, Steve smashed his powerful fists as hard ha he could into the mountain. The blow shook the mountain to the core and triggered an avalanche. With an ear-splitting rumble, the entire mountain seemed to collapse, crushing rocks fell on the Hydra burying it under. For a moment no one moved. They waited as the dust settled. There was no sign of Steve. Y/N's hand flew to her mouth. Pegasus whinnied mournfully.

Bucky stared sadly down at his feet. "There goes another one. Just like Achilles..."

The mighty hero Steve had defeated the Hydra, but now he lay buried in a rocky grave.