RANDOM CHAPTER 3

3

ETHAN

I was busy reviewing a contract about a shipping deal when my phone rang. It was from Cathen's class teacher. I frowned because normally it was Archer's teacher who would call me to complain about his trouble making behavior. Before this, I'd never gotten a call about Cathen.

"Hi Mrs. Ward," I greeted her.

"Mr. Reynolds, I called you to ask if you could come to school?" she asked hesitantly.

"Is Cathen alright? Is he hurt?" I was instantly worried.

"No, he is not hurt. He seems distracted." There was a note of uncertainty in her voice, as if even she didn't know what to tell me.

"What happened? Did he get into a fight with someone?" I scoffed at myself. Cathen was not the type of kid who would pick fights. He'd deal with situations differently.

"That's what I wanted to ask you."

"What do you mean?"

"He's been kinda aloof in the class lately."

"Lately?" I questioned her, not sure what she was talking about. My mind went to this morning. Cathen had been fine. He had been his usual self. He had followed Crystal around the kitchen. He'd asked many questions about animals. He'd requested me to buy him new animal toys. His behavior hadn't been out of the ordinary. What this woman was talking about?

With a sigh, I rubbed my temples.

"He is not participating in the class activities, and he even gave his lunch to other kid to eat yesterday."

It shocked me he hadn't eaten the entire afternoon. Cathen's sweet and innocent face flashed before my eyes. I could feel my heart being squeezed by some unimaginable force. This was parental hurt. It was the worst kind of hurt.

"Mrs. Ward, I'm on my way. Please keep an eye on him." I gathered my suit jacket and grabbed my stuff.

"Of course, Mr. Reynolds."

I hung up the phone.

"Seth, cancel all my meetings for today, and I'll inform you if I need to cancel tomorrow's appointments as well."

"Sure, Mr. Reynolds. Is everything OK?" he asked.

"It'll be."

He nodded, understanding that I'd not divulge more information about this matter. He was a damn efficient assistant.

The car ride to Cathen's school was tense. I was imagining unthinkable. I groaned.

I should keep my cool.

After parking my car in the parking lot, I ran towards the building. I knocked on the door as I tapped my foot in impatience.

A few seconds later, Mrs. Ward opened the door. She was in her late thirties.

"Where's Cathen?" I asked her. I knew I was being an asshole for not greeting the teacher, but we fucking talked on the phone just half hour ago. I just wanted to see my son. I looked over her shoulder.

Most of the kids were sitting in a group around the tables, painting the sheets in front of them. I could not see Cathen anywhere.

"He is in the back," the teacher told me.

I didn't wait for her to invite me in. I stepped around her and went inside. Almost everyone gazed up at me. I was under scrutiny. I was an alien specimen among these adorable little devils. Even a hardcore businessman like me who intimidated others was nervous.