013

I got back home a couple minutes later. I walked in, and for some reason I couldn't stop smiling. I hadn't seen Kenny in god knows how long and he's making me smile? I swore I hated his guts. Upon walking inside I saw Dave and Charlie snuggled together on the couch watching some movie. Dave didn't look to invested in it but Charlie sure was.

"Hi, guys." I said setting the groceries down on the counter. Dave looked up from the TV and smiled at me with his perfect Dave smile. I pulled the bottle of medicine for Charlie out and measured the perfect amount to give him. Dave took it from my hands and gave it to Charlie who downed it in about five seconds. He really was sick.

"What took you so long?" Dave asked just like I expected him to. He leant against the counter with that usual look in his eyes. How could I ever leave Dave? I mean, look at him. He's so beautiful. It's really heart aching.

"I- I don't know," I said, "long line." I shrugged it off and began to put the groceries away. He sucked his tongue and sarcastically mumbled a "huh" like I was lying or something. Oh, fuck. I am lying. Dani what the fuck?!

"You'd think after almost 10 years I'd know when you're lying." He crossed his arms like he was my dad or something. I hated when he did that. He made me feel so stupid sometimes. But maybe that's because I was.

"I'm not lying." I said continuing to put things away like nothing was wrong but Dave wouldn't let me go that quickly. I knew that for sure. Nothing I ever said was good enough for him. After a moment of silence, Dave made his way over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. For a second, I melted into him. I loved when he did that. It made me forget what I was doing. Before I knew it, his arms slid away and he carefully, and smoothly, slid his hand into my back pocket and pulled out the white piece of paper that had Kenny's number on it. How the fuck did he do that? How did he know? I spun around quickly and watched him read the number.

"You have someone's number, now?" He said with a scoff. I thought of some lie to say but soon realized something. There was nothing wrong with me having somebodies number. I wasn't single and it was a friendly way to catch up. If Dave had a problem with that then so be it.

"Yeah, I do." I said crossing my arms to mimic his pose of disappointment. He felt some shame in that and uncrossed them.

"Well, could you tell me who's?" He asked with a calmer voice. I could tell he didn't want to get upset. There was nothing to get upset about. We both needed to work on staying calm.

"I'm scared you'll get mad at me." I said truthfully. Dave softened his face and relaxed a bit before shaking his head.

"I won't. I won't get mad at you. Come on, let's just be honest with each other." He said making me feel a whole lot better about this. Okay, Dani. You can do this. Stay calm. Everything is gonna be fine.

"I ran into Kenny at the store." I said looking away with a shameful look. Dave didn't say anything for awhile, it honestly scared me. Was he gonna be upset? Was he gonna yell at me?

"Kenny... you mean that Kenny?" Dave asked like he was curious. I knew he was a little angry. I could tell with him. I knew him that well.

"Yes," I said, "and before you say anything we're just getting coffee sometime. I don't have any feelings for him and you know that." His face said it all. He was so angry but he tried to stay "calm" he looked at me disapprovingly with his arms crossed, eyes narrowed, jaw clenched. It was pure silence until Charlie walked in.

"Do I really have to go to school tomorrow?" He asked breaking me out of my stare off with Dave. I had forgotten. Charlie's Christmas break ended tomorrow and he had school. He was really sick today. I don't think school is anywhere near good for him tomorrow.

"No buddy—" I began but was instantly cut off by Dave.

"Yes." He said like it was all up to him. I gave him a look like he was crazy. But he didn't seem to feel any different. He was still upset and of course he was trying to get under my skin.

"David, he's sick." I stated.

"I know he is. Does he have a fever? No. Do you know how many days of school I missed when I was a kid? Basically none. He needs to learn how to suck it up and go to school." Dave said. Charlie didn't feel good but he didn't care enough to keep him home?

"Dave, he's 7 years old." I said.

"Yes, Dani. He's my son. I know his age. And I know he's old enough to go to school. He won't even be sick in the morning you know how it is with kids." After he said that, he looked to Charlie, then me. With a sigh, he calmed himself down, "you don't have to go, if you're really sick. I'm sorry." I smiled seeing Dave improving. Charlie nodded and went back to the living room.

"Was that good?" Dave asked.

"Amazing." I wrapped him in a hug.