This is Normal for Me

" Mmm Sabo, who's the short one again?" You spoke out, your eyes landing on the male who was currently stuffing his face full of popcorn. You couldn't quite understand how this happened, but Sabo did mention his brothers were visiting today. He told you that a week in advance he spent nearly five hundred dollars on groceries. Now you could understand why, watching the scar faced male devour two whole bowls of popcorn made you quickly understand.
" That would be Luffy, my little brother. If he makes a mess, let me know so I can clean it up. Luffy eats a lot because it's one of his comforts, along with the fact he values food very highly. So don't expect him to share. It's why I ended up buying so much. Ace said he was taking a shower so just be careful. He's kinda like a nudist but in a sense he never ever wears shirts."
" Got it... a nudist and a huge stomach. Weird siblings, but at least they haven't broken anything so I can't complain" You really couldn't, while you didn't talk much to Sabo besides the small amount you could due to both of your busy work schedules. You had grown used to your roommate, he was kind and always did his best to keep the apartment clean. Mainly because you were paying most of the bills with your new job as an assistant nurse. Never that it bugged you much, he always tried to pay even, but you finally realized why he was scraping by. He told you once he was paying for someone to go to school. He also told you he brought plane tickets, which you can clearly tell it was for Luffy. He had a soft look to him, round face and huge eyes, matched with curly and wavy black hair to top it off, you knew he wasn't from New York.
" I am gonna go make some more snacks, I will leave some coffee on the pot, I know you have a shift in a few hours" He spoke out, your eyes snapping to meet his dark blue, he truly was an amazing roommate. However, compared to his girlfriend, you would've preferred Koala more. She always came by with snacks from her travels across the world.
" You share a whole house with Sabo mmm?" The voice was new, and it nearly scared you if you hadn't been staring at the owner of said voice. Luffy, the one who now clearly finished a third bowl of what seemed to be chips was sitting in front of you. His onyx eyes staring at you as if he was either sizing you up or spacing out. You decided to go with spacing out as he blinked way too many times as you tilted your head.
" Yes, he applied to be mine after I put a poster up for one. We actually happened to meet at the campus I was visiting for practice, so it worked out very well" A soft smile gracing your lips, as you can recall him shouting after you holding the said newly posted " Roommate needed" poster.
" Good, it makes him happy living here. He works hard so that I can afford college, him and Ace both do. They're really good brothers" He said, his eyes slowly focusing on another bowl of chips. Yet he didn't touch them, he quickly looked back at you, as if he was wanting to continue talking, which you didn't mind. Soon you took a spot next to him on the ground, you didn't figure being on the couch would help if he had to keep looking back at you.
" Very good, Sabo rarely talks about himself, yet he always said he was supporting someone very special to him. I didn't know he had two brothers if I am being honest, and truly its surprising since you guys look nothing alike" You spoke out, Luffy looked to be a mix of brazilian and something you couldn't quite guess, and Ace looked to be of asian descent, and then there was Sabo. You knew he was a Swedish exchange student who ended up staying, but you learned he was Swedish and Korean when he had to take a business call.
" Mmmm, yea! We all were adopted by my grandfather. Technically, well they are adopted. But I still say I am because he took me in when my parents both vanished. Ace is from Thailand, but he has some polish genes in him I think. I think you already know Sabo is Swedish and Japanese, but as for me, well.." He paused midway as he shoved another chip into his mouth.
" I am Brazilian and also Argentinian. But from what grandpa told me, my mom was Vietnamese so I guess I am just about everything huh" He spoke out, his eyes lighting up as he spoke. It was a surprise learning so much already. But you also understood entirely that not everyone is what they are. You can use your own self as an example, you have mixed parents who only let you be more mixed, yet you loved all your cultures. You kept in touch with your families who lived in your homelands, and constantly got sent gifts and snacks so that you would never forget.
" Mmmm, I think being you is quite unique, there is nothing wrong with that ya know" You said, your eyes following him as he scooted closer, his hands still in the bowl of chips. You decided it was best not to move, he didn't have any ill intent and he just seemed like he was honestly just tired and lonely.
" I am proud of myself, just sometimes wish I knew my mom and dad" He said it so bluntly, you felt tension building in your throat. You couldn't really decide how to respond, even after the 3 years of nursing school you went through, the patients you've had to speak to, the ones you had to rely on the bad news too. Yet this was different, because this wasn't your job, this was someone who was now in your life.
" I mean, I don't know exactly how that feels, but Sabo and Ace seem to love you, and your grandpa loves you as well I am going to assume. I'm sure even if you never meet them, your mother and father still love you." You said, you truly felt bad. You grew up with two loving parents and a big sister, yet you knew Luffy had a family as well.
" Yea, you are most likely right! I even have tons of friends here already." He said a huge smile blooming on his face before he stuffed even more chips into it.
" I mean you and I have already become friends right!" He said, his face turning to look at you, the unwavering look in his eyes only made yourself smile.
" Of course we are friends" You responded, he was truly different then you had been told about. Sabo said his brothers were tools in a shed that had no door and was literally on fire. Yet Luffy seemed very mature for his age, or well you assumed. You had no clue really about Luffy besides the facts you had learned.
" How old are you exactly?" This time you were the one starting the conversation. This was only because you were very curious and not because you swear you actually enjoy his company and want to hang out more.
" Oh I am, I am. Oh I am 24 now!" He said after counting on his fingers, his response made you take a mental step back. He was only a year younger than you, you would've assumed he was younger. Maybe it was because Sabo kept pestering you with how his little brother or his 'baby' brother was visiting.
" Ace is 26, just like Sabo. They're matching old grandpas!" He said before letting out a dorky laugh, which only made you laugh in return. Soon the laughing was leveled when a pillow somehow ended up dead in Luffy's face before falling to the ground.
" We are not that old you little brat" a voice loudly proclaimed itself, ah, that must be the other brother Ace.
" Old, old, old FART!" Luffy proclaimed as he quickly stood up pointing at the male, your head turning to follow his finger, Sabo was right. Ace was shirtless with a pair of shorts on. It was quite a surprise he wasn't cold, you could see the water still dripping from his hair but decided to hold your tongue because you truly didn't care.
" Stop yelling in the house you two, sorry about the yelling" Sabo finally called out, his eyes landing on you as if he was trying to apologize.
" It's fine, I enjoy the noise. It lets me think about work" You admitted, soon you stood up before you made your way past both Ace and Sabo.
" I am gonna get my cup of coffee, my shift starts in 2 hours. You said both of them were staying for the night right?" You asked, tilting your head as you glanced at both Ace and Luffy.
" Yes, Ace is returning to visit his partner Yamato in Florida, and Luffy is gonna stay at his friends place tomorrow until he's able to get his own apartment"
" Luffy can live in the guest room" You instantly responded before you paused and tried to relapse from what you said. Sabo quickly turned to look at you along with Luffy himself.
" Or whatever works out for him, might be better to have someone at the house when we are both working. Something to come home to" You said before pouring yourself a mug of coffee, your eyes focused on your hand. You said it, only because you really did enjoy the brothers, their company was a blessing in your tiresome and busy nursing life.
" R-really? That's perfect then!" Sabo suddenly proclaimed before grabbing Luffy's hand. Ace seemed slightly surprised but he was overall happy he didn't have to worry about his little brother staying at some strangers place for a while.
" Just don't make a mess, I am going to study. Need to make sure I have everything ready for my long shift" You mumble out as you take a long sip from your mug, your feet somehow carrying you all the way to the study. You barely noticed the young male who stood behind you.
" Here, Sabo gave them to me, said to eat but I decided to share." Luffy spoke out, a bowl of freshly cut strawberries came into your view as you turned to look at him. He had an unreadable look in his eyes, yet he seemed much calmer than before, and much more happy.
" Thank you Luffy, you're very nice" You said, taking one and plopping it into your mouth as a smile bloomed onto your face.
" You're, you are also very nice, thank you again. I am going to go bug Ace and Sabo now.. But, really thank you" He said, he lingered there for a second before placing the half filled bowl on your desk and quickly sprinted down the hallway out of your sight. You could only let out a soft laugh as you stared down at it, you decided you could definitely get used to this. So for now, you decided having this half bowl of strawberries was enough to power you through your 12 hour shift coming up, much more than the coffee was ever doing for you