Ch. 12: Confession

I was almost bored without the strike. Obviously I was happy that it was over but I didn't really have anything to do. It had taken up most of my time the past few weeks. It was back to normal, but it wasn't. It was better. I was more frequently happy, because I was just grateful that everyone was alright.

Life seemed simple now. I had my friends back. They didn't have any drastic personality changes. It was as if the strike hadn't even happened. There were even new boys now that Snyder was gone. They were quickly accepted as part of the family.

I spent a lot of time in Brooklyn, when I wasn't selling papers at least. Spot and I hung out a lot. He grew on me every day. Also, I finally got him to admit that he was an idiot for thinking girls are weak.

Today, I sold my papers more quickly than usual. Without thinking, I found myself heading in the direction of Brooklyn.

In Brooklyn I found Spot walking down the street selling his papes, shouting out whatever crazy thing he wanted. I waved to him and he jogged over to me.

"What're ya doin' in Brooklyn?" He asked with a grin on his face. I shrugged. I genuinely had no idea. I had just come over here. "Shouldn't ya be sellin' papes?"

"Finished early."

He looked at the papers in his hands. "I only have a few left if you can wait." I nodded. Then he went running around, selling the last few that he had. I just stood and watched. I didn't see why he was hurrying.

When he finished he came jogging back. He had his usual smirk plastered onto his face. He winked. "Did ya come for anyone in particular?"

"Nope," I answered honestly. He raised an eyebrow at me. I just wrinkled my nose and punched him.

He held his arms up defensively, letting out a chuckle. "Alright. If ya say so." He had been in a much better mood than I've ever seen him in since the strike ended.

We wandered through the city, talking and laughing. I had to stop him from doing several stupid things. It was a good time, I didn't want it to end.

We were out so long it had begun to get dark. I hadn't even noticed the time. The day had gone by so fast. I tried to leave as the sun began to set but Spot stopped me. He dragged me to the Brooklyn Bridge.

There we didn't do anything in particular. He didn't say anything. He just stared out into the horizon. I watched him for a few moments. His brown hair blowing in the wind. His striking eyes reflecting the sunset. I forced myself to look away. What was I doing?

He sighed finally, and looked at me. "I have somethin' ta tell ya."

"What is it?" He didn't move. He just stared at me, like he was frozen. There was a small smirk on his face though. "Well, spit it out, ya idiot." I snapped my fingers in front of his face.

He broke out of his daze and gave a look that told me he changed his mind. Then he stared at the sky. It was completely dark now, except that I could just barely see the moon behind the clouds.

Spot looked like he was trying to figure out what to say. "The stars look pretty tonight."

I squinted at the fuzzy dots of light that were covered by clouds. Pretty wasn't the word I would use to describe them. Basically invisible. Sad, maybe. Not pretty.

"I'm sure they would be if I could see 'em."

"Right," He realized, then he muttered something to himself about being stupid.

"Was that what ya had ta tell me?" I asked, "If so, it was pretty anticlimactic."

He shuffled around, fingering his necklace. I had never noticed it before. I was a silver key that hung on twine around his neck.