03 how to be human

03   how to be human

Medea finds herself beside Leo, surrounded by their crew along with Reyna and her people as tornadoes of food clutter up the table. It's so much different to the wound that is Camp Half-Blood—kids playing tag around statues and hanging onto their parents without a worry. There isn't the same anxiety, the crawling feeling beneath her skin every single time she steps out the safety of her cabin. The weight of her armbands gives Medea a sense of peace, poking at the food that Leo had piled onto her plate with a full mouth, mumbling something about how good it is through the meat. She doesn't participate as the differing crews begin exchanging war stories, but listens carefully.

          "Impossible!" Octavian interrupts Jason. "That's our most sacred place. If the giants had imprisoned a goddess there—"

          "They would've destroyed her," Piper says. "And blamed it on the Greeks, and started a war between the camps. Now, be quiet and let Jason finish."

Medea snorts, shoving a spoonful of pomegranate into her mouth. Octavian opens his mouth, but no sound comes out.

          "Isn't charmspeak a wonderful thing?" Medea says, mouth quirked.

          "So," Jason continues without missing a beat, "that's how we found out about the earth goddess Gaea. She's still half asleep, but she's the one freeing the monsters from Tartarus and raising the giants. Porphyrion, the big leader dude we fought at the Wolf House: he said he was retreating to the ancient lands —Greece itself. He plans on awakening Gaea and destroying the gods by...what did he call it? Pulling up their roots."

Percy nods thoughtfully. "Gaea's been busy over here, too. We had our own encounter with Queen Dirt Face."

Medea returns to quiet as Percy begins to recount his last few weeks—turning up at Wolf House with no memories except one name: Annabeth; travelling to Alaska with Frank and Hazel; defeating enemies and returning a lost golden eagle statue.