Chapter 6

"Laurel!" I yelled as I pushed open the door and let myself out of the cafe. She walked quickly amongst a thin crowd of people. "Laurel!" She didn't turn around. I jogged up to her and took a hold of her arm. She stopped walking.
When she turned around, her face was stained with tears. "Laurel," I managed in a deflated tone. She hung her head.
"Please don't play with my emotions." she whispered. "Sophie, is it really you?"
I couldn't form any words, so I just nodded.
She pulled me into her arms and sobbed into my chest.
"I thought he killed you, just like he killed Garrett. I missed you so much"
Her voice quivered and broke.
"Shh, it's okay." I whispered into her hair. People were staring at us. Laurel pulled away from me and took my hand.
"Come on. I know a place where he can never see us."
We were in her old treehouse, drinking hot cocoa and eating cookies.
Cliché, I know.
"Remember when we used to play dolls up here?" I said, picking up an old Barbie.
"Yeah," her eyes twinkled. "But remember when we tried smoking here so our mums wouldn't see us?" We both burst out laughing.
"I thought I would never breathe fresh air again." I said.
"Nah, you were just being a drama queen." I nudged her playfully.
We stayed silent for a few minutes.
"Laurel?" I called out softly. I watched as she put her head in her hands and ran them through her hair.
"I know, I know. But the thing is, are you sure you're ready to know what really happened that night?"
I took some seconds to ponder that question.
"No," I finally replied. "But are you prepared to tell me anyway?" She nodded. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.
This was it. The moment of truth.
"That night, Garrett told me he was taking you to the lake. So I followed, for moral support. But I hid behind the bushes the whole time.
Garrett was about to ask you to be his girlfriend, but before he could he fell to the floor. The thing is, he was shot. You just stared at his body in shock.
The HE came out from behind you holding a gun. And the two of you were talking but I couldn't hear anything from either of you.
It sounded like you were asking for forgiveness. But he just laughed. And laughed and kept on laughing. Then he hit you with a baseball bat and stuffed you in a bag. But I knew you weren't dead and I didn't know who he was yet.
I ran to your house and told your mom what I'd seen she called the police and they started the investigation based on what I saw.
The next day, your parents were pronounced dead, they said it was murder. Your siblings were taken into custody, but your brother was killed anyway. I haven't seen your sister since. But I knew it was him.
After a while the police dropped the case, for lack of evidence. They suggested I go into hiding because I 'might be next'.
I finished college without you, and I missed you every single day. I got myself a car, a job, an apartment and I was engaged for a while.
One day at work, the boss calls me to his office and tells me that my diploma is forged and I never went to college. Then he let me go.
My car was repossessed because I couldn't pay off my debts.
My landlord kicked me out, claiming that I hadn't paid for three months, which wasn't true.
My fiancé dumped me. For no reason.
In one day. My life fell apart.
As I prepared to move back in with mom, I received a call.
It was him.
He said,
'Because you talked to much.' And I saw him. Right across the street, holding his finger to his lips.
He fucking ruined my life in one freaking day!
I'll never forget his face."
I nodded, all this sinking in.
"Do I know him? Have we met before?" I asked her.
"Yes you do." she said bitterly.
"Who is he, Lauren?" I had a feeling I'd regret the answer but I pressed on anyway.
"Ferguson Stone."