Happy Birthday

Our home was never as lively as it was today. The Akimichi family, responsible for delivering the celebration buffet, energetically directed one another as they set up the feast. The children who tagged along brazenly explored their new environment. It wasn't everyday that anyone not of the Uchiha Clan got the chance to run around the Uchiha Compound.

Mother made the right choice by clearing the living room of furniture. It created ample space for the children as the adults prepared the outside. Everything felt so much more full of life. "Hey, can we see what's upstairs?" An Akimichi boy, perhaps no older than four, asked me. Behind him were a handful of his friends and their eyes shined with expectation.

I paused unsure for a moment. There was no way for me to communicate with them other than some random gestures, but maybe it was because I wasn't used to being approached by so many strangers, let alone extroverted children, but I didn't know how to react. "Uchiha-San?" A weird expression crossed the boy's face as I faltered.

"There's nothing upstairs except our bedrooms, but if you promise not to touch anything, feel free to explore." Mother's voice sounded from behind me and I breathed in a breath of relief.

The children exclaimed in joy and rushed off up the stairs, their energetic footsteps still audible from below. I expressed my gratitude and followed Mother to the kitchen where the Akimichi, Nara, and Yamanaka housewives chattered and worked. "By the way, how does Fugaku-San behave on a date?" One of them inquired.

Another let out a chuckle. "I can't picture a man like him being romantic."

Mother smiled unabashed. "My husband can be quite romantic, if I do say so myself." My interest peeked at her words. Father? A romantic? What kind of horror story is Mother about to tell? It appeared I wasn't the only one with such thoughts, as everyone set aside their tasks to give their full attention to Mother, particularly the other clan members, while the Uchiha housewives shared knowing chuckles amongst themselves.

"It's all in his actions. He used to wait for me every day after my Kunoichi classes. Whenever I got injured from training, he would step in and complete all my chores. I'd return home to find the laundry washed and hung out to dry, meals prepared, floors swept and mopped. After my retirement, he didn't get the opportunity to do that again, but he ensured I didn't face any stress during and after my pregnancies. Although now, I have my sons to help me with that," Mother explained with a fond smile.

That was... Honestly one of the nicest thing's I've ever heard a man do for his wife.

"My," one of the Akimichi ladies said. "He's such a decent man. Here I have to fight my husband to even lift his dirty plates to the kitchen."

"What about your dates?" A Yamanaka lady asked.

Mother thought for a moment. "I don't believe we ever had one." A round of gasps passed among the women and even I was a bit surprised. "He's too shy to ever ask me out to one and I never find the right time to do so myself. Although we used to go out and eat at restaurants, it was more by coincidence when we saw each other." She laughed.

"Don't worry, happiness doesn't require dates," one of the Yamanaka women teased. I wasn't supposed to catch the subtlety in her words, but I did, and took that as the cue to check on the other guests.

When I made it back to the living room I brightened at the sight of both Kakashi and Obito. They stood awkwardly amongst all the children who crowded around them with expressions of awe and excitement. "Did the Hokage teach you his flash?!" One exclaimed.

"What does the Hokage do everyday?!"

The two took the chance to escape when they caught sight of me. "Never, and I mean never, let that happen again." Obito said. Kakashi, in a rare moment, seemed to share his sentiments. I laughed again and smiled at the children who watched on in slight disappointment. They're so cute. I was looking forward to meeting at least one of the rookie nine, but it was hard to tell when the clan children intermingled together and it was hard for me to really ask any of them for their names. 

[Thank you for coming. The Akimichi took over everything that even I'm just walking around trying to find something to do.] I signed sheepishly.

Obito grinned. "That's the Akimichi for you."

[Rin should be bringing Naruto and Sasuke over soon.] I checked the clock hung on the living room wall and frowned. Time seemed to be passing very quick. I let the two teenagers follow me as I made my way to the backyard to check if everything was coming along well. It seemed that the Akimichi were almost done. I took in the scent of the buffet and warm air, happy that Sasuke's birthday would be on such a beautiful day. The children from upstairs came down and more Uchiha guests started to arrive. They all carried gifts with them and awkward smiles when they greeted the other clan members in the compound, let alone in the Clan-head's home. With Mother's help they acclimated well into the current conversations, some starting their own with individuals they deemed worth their time.

Soon, Sasuke was due to arrive. I ignored the disappointment of not having Itachi and Shisui, both called by Father for some reasons I couldn't ponder on yet, as Kakashi gave me the sign to welcome my baby brother. I had him and Obito herd the children behind the closed front entrance with poppers in hand as the adults watched from behind as they always do. Anticipation rushed through me and the excitement almost had me jumping. Once the front door slid open to reveal a distracted Sasuke speaking with Naruto, the poppers set off with loud cheers of  "Happy birthday!" and startled Sasuke and Naruto so much they almost flew ten feet in the air. Rin was laughing behind them.

Naruto whipped his head around in confusion as Sasuke stared frozen at all the faces staring back at him. His gaze fell onto me and he huffed out a breath before a deep blush spread across his cheeks all the way down to his neck and ears as he rushed to hide behind Naruto. Laughter erupted and the more extroverted children rushed forward to drag Sasuke inside. Poor Naruto was still confused as he was forced to act as the wall between Sasuke and all the eager children. After finally being told what was going on by Rin, he quickly joined the children's endeavor to push Sasuke inside and succeeded.

I hugged Sasuke as hard as I could. He acted as if I embarrassed him for ten lifetimes but was quick to adapt and join the other children before he seemed to realize something. He came to me and asked, "Where's Nii-San and Father?" He paused and added, "Shisui?"

I hid my frown. [Father needed them for something, but Itachi and Shisui said they'll do their best so they can come be with you.]

Sasuke's glittering eyes dimmed for the rest of the day, but he still smiled and played with Naruto and the others. The food was served, the cake was cut, and the guests began to take their leave once dusk approached. I already had a feeling Father wasn't going to make it, but I had hoped Itachi and Shisui would. Even if it was only Shisui it would be okay, but it took Itachi three days to come home. Father didn't say why and I never asked, more because I already knew why. I snuck into Sasuke's bed for those nights without Itachi, who despite his usual grumbling behavior, never complained about it. The first night, his thank you was so quiet I almost missed it, but I heard it and my heart almost burst from the love I felt for him.

Itachi came home with his apologetic smile. Sasuke forgave him easily enough, albeit nonplussed, but I knew Itachi was still sorry. He'd never missed a birthday until now, and we both knew this wasn't a one time thing.