Chapter Three

So close.

He turns around and sees Abigail standing at the foot of the stairs, her arms once again folded over her chest with a sly smile on her face.

"It's locked anyway, sweetie. Unfortunately for you, I was prepared for your sneaky little games." She says proudly.

"Abigail please, this isn't right." Jack pleads, his facial features taking on a worried expression.

"Oh I know it's not. Since when are you one to preach about things not being right? Your words don't faze me like they used to." She says.

"Open the door!" He shouts. Overtaken with rage, he charges toward her, driving his shoulder into her chest. The incisions where his arms were take the worst of the impact and he winces as she takes a step back, coughing and trying to catch her breath. She steadies herself and tackles him to the ground, overpowering him easily. He looks up at her with sad eyes and she stands up, planting her foot firmly on his stomach before he can get to his feet.

"You really want to live don't you?" She asks.

"Yes, I do." Jack says.

"Well you're going to have to try a lot harder than that." She says, smirking.

Before he can protest, she grabs him by his ankles and drags him back to the room that has become his prison. Letting his legs drop to the floor, she stares down at him, her eyes practically burning into his skull.

"Next time you try to escape, I'll remove your legs. Slowly, while you're awake." She threatens.

He swallows the lump that has formed in his throat and nods. She turns and walks towards the door, leaving Jack lying on the floor in defeat.

"Until next time, Jack." She says, smiling as she leaves him. 

After the better part of a day, she returns to him and he stands up, preparing himself for whatever she might have in mind this time.

"I've thought of a little game for you, Jack. Since you like to play games with people." Abigail says. Fear begins to creep into Jack's mind again, but he's gotten good at pushing it away.

"What kind of game?" Jack asks.

"The rules are simple. Throughout my home, I've hidden clues. From these clues you will need to find out three things for me. The exact date we met, the location of our first kiss, and the exact date you swore to me you'd be faithful." She says, giving him a moment to think.

"Can't remember, huh? Didn't think you would. You have two days to present this information to me, and if you succeed, you will live. If you don't, however, I will take away your ability to hear, I will take your tongue, and everything else I've threatened to take from you, and leave you in this room to rot." She says, concluding her speech.

Jack takes a moment to process all this. A chance to live, a way out. The words bring him much needed happiness.

He says nothing for fear of ruining his chances.

"Your task starts now." She says.

She turns to walk out of the room and Jack follows behind. Once they reach the top of the stairs, she opens the door and pushes him out. The light blinds his eyes from spending so much time in darkness and he looks away, closing his eyes tightly.

"Good luck, you'll need it. And don't even try to escape, because I'll know." She says, a sick smile spreading across her features as she turns and walks down the hall to his right, disappearing behind the door at the end.