Lonely Angel of Death: Ash POV

How much more could go wrong today? First, five pups go missing, and now there's an intruder. This is ridiculous! It's supposed to be the weekend. I ran out in wolf form with four other warriors and one of my best friends, Lex. My fur was pressed against me from the speed I was going. Lex's grey wolf sped alongside me, a worried look in his brown eyes since his little sister was one of the pups that had gone missing. I felt bad for him but, as of right now, we had no idea where they were. As we got closer, my heart started to race and butterflies filled my stomach as the scent of peaches and honey lingered in the wind. It mixed with the smell of feral bear shifter and pack members. I pushed my pace as we got closer to the border of our territory.

As I broke through the tree line, I was surprised to see the five missing pups standing there as if they'd only just left and hadn't been missing for over three hours. Lex wasn't far behind and as he crossed the border, he walked up to his sister, his wolf nosing around, probably rapid-firing questions at her through the link. As I approached, the smell of peaches and honey was even stronger. It hung on them so much that I unconsciously stepped even closer. I looked at Star, Lex's sister, as she said,

"Ghost brought us back."

I tilted my head, confused. A ghost? What was this girl talking about? I asked her as much, and she quickly shook her head and pointed behind her,

"No, not a ghost. Ghost, as in the name. I mean, he didn't tell us his name, but he didn't say it wasn't that either. Anyway, he brought us back here and saved us from the feral bear. After he dropped us off, he ran off. I think he went to fight it."

Fear settled in the pit of my stomach at the information. The person with this scent, my mate; they went to fight a feral bear shifter. Alone. I ran without thinking, following the scent closely. My speed increased when I heard the bear's roar echo through the area. Lex called to me through the link and I knew he was following behind me,

Ash, what are you doing!?

The wolf that helped the pups is my mate! I can't let them fight alone.

He asked nothing else, just followed behind me. I saw a white blur fly across the field before landing on the ground; kicking up the dirt. The bear roared again, in triumph, before I heard a vicious growl from where the blur had landed. A pure white alpha submissive with deep red eyes stood there. He bared his fangs as he lowered his body slightly; ready to attack, ears pulled back, tail lowered. The afternoon sun glinted off his fur, making a slight halo-effect form. I was frozen.

He leaped before I could finish committing the sight to memory and tackled the 8' creature to the ground; ripping its throat out, blood spurting from the wound onto his pearlescent fur. The bear gave a final gurgling, low growl before stilling as my mate looked down at it and huffed. He shook out his fur and started to stretch before freezing and scenting the air. His red eyes turned to mine. Widened in surprise. The sun caught his fur, as well as the blood caught in it simultaneously, and I swear he looked like an angel of death. He could have taken my soul any day.

Lex bumped my shoulder, knocking me out of my stupor. Thank The Mother. If it was up to me, I would have just stared until the sunset. I padded up to my mate, who gracefully leaped off the bear's carcass. He was a little shorter than me, despite the fact that we were both alphas; though that wasn't too weird considering I was a dominant and he was a submissive. He was gonna be a little smaller. I lowered my head slightly to look into his red orbs. They were like living rubies with all the emotions swirling within them. He stepped a little closer, his scent surrounding me even more, and I couldn't stop myself from pressing my face into his neck and shoulder. I felt him lick mine in return, and it warmed my heart. This was my mate. My other half. It took thirteen years, but we'd finally found each other. I pulled back slightly and licked his muzzle, pulling an excitedly happy whine from him. It was so cute.