[ TWELVE ]

"Evan! Did you get the letter back?" Jeremy asked, nudging Evan as the two of them made their way down the hallway.

"Yeah, I did actually," he mumbled, glancing sideways at the other. Jeremy looked surprised, but grinned.

"Really? How did you do that? I didn't think Connor was... y'know. The 'forgive and forget' type," he admitted, as they turned a corner into their classroom. Evan didn't reply, waiting until they were all seated.

They were sorted into alphabetical order, and each desk seated two people. Evan and Jeremy shared a desk, which they were both pleased about — right behind Christine and Alana's, which Jeremy was also very pleased about. Rich and one of his friends were on Evan's left, and Jared and the girl he was certain was called Brooke also shared a desk to Jeremy's right.

After a few painful minutes of the teacher trying to get the class's attention, he gave a resigned sigh and started teaching to the only person listening; Alana. Once his focus was diverted to the ancient chalkboard, Jeremy turned back to him.

"Did you steal it off him or something?" he pressed, a small smile on his face.

"Oh, no. I didn't steal it, I just... well, he came up to me, actually," Evan admitted, glancing behind him for a moment. Connor and Michael were seated at the same table, neither of them acknowledging the other's existence. "It was weird. He seemed a lot different."

Wrinkling his forehead, Jeremy turned around too, eyes narrowed as he watched Connor. Michael gave him a little wave, grinning at them both. "Uh-huh. And you're sure it was the real letter?"

"I was sure a second ago," Evan grumbled, taking the letter out from his pocket and skimming it over. "Yup. Just the same as before."

"That is weird." Jeremy was still rotated one hundred and eighty degrees in his seat. Connor glared right back at him, and he turned away quickly. "Maybe he really was sorry. He still seems the same old asshole to me."

"People can change. I think." Evan sighed, shoving the letter back into his pocket. His notebook lat open in front of him. Normally he would be concentrating, but he didn't think he could right now. His head was swirling with confused thoughts. Why had Connor been nice to him? Was it just a joke? He seemed like he'd genuinely changed, though. At least a little.

He started to trace his pen over the lines in his notebook, watching Jeremy turn every so often to cast another scrutinising look at Connor. Michael was making faces behind his back now, and Jeremy kept nearly breaking out into a fit of giggles, barely holding it in. Connor clearly noticed, suddenly turning around to face Michael and muttering something in a loud, annoyed whisper. However, when he turned away, Michael looked unfazed, just giving them both a cheerful wave before pulling his headphones from his backpack.

The rest of the lesson passed similarly — Connor looking like he wanted to slap Michael, the two girls at the back whispering to each other, Rich and his friend chatting in extremely loud voices, and Jared trying his best to talk to Brooke. From experience, Evan could tell Jared was attempting to flirt with her; all of his pickup lines had been 'tested', apparently, but they never seemed to work. Brooke just looked mildly disgusted.

The bell rang, making everyone jump. Immediately, everyone was shoving books into bags (if they'd even got them out in the first place). Jeremy stood up first, followed by Michael, who grabbed him and Jeremy by the arm to drag them from the classroom.

"So, how was it sitting next to Connor?" Jeremy asked, grinning as they were pulled to the cafeteria.

"Fine." Michael shrugged lightly. "I don't think he likes me that much, though. But it's whatever."

They sat down in the same place as yesterday, and Michael started to unload his lunch onto the table. A box of homemade sushi again, along with a couple smaller boxes, each with three rolls inside. "I brought extra, because Jeremy wouldn't stop eating mine," he explained, in a jokingly accusatory tone. "Evan, do you like sushi?"

Evan blinked. "I dunno. I've never... tried it."

With an exaggerated gasp, Michael shoved one of the two smaller boxes towards him. "Go on. This one's for you."

"Oh. Thank you," he mumbled, unsure how to react.

As he opened it, Michael told him, "I didn't know if you ate fish or whatever. So, now we all have vegetarian." He pointed to each tightly wrapped sushi roll in turn. "Vegetarian California roll, takuan maki, and inarizushi. Basically just vegetables. Carrots and cucumbers and stuff, wrapped in rice. The inarizushi has tofu and sweet rice," he elaborated further, at Evan's blank look.

Jeremy had finished off his own sushi already, plus his sandwich, and was picking at some of Michael's.

"Do either of you know where Jared is?" Michael suddenly asked, occasionally slapping away Jeremy's hand. "I think he was supposed to meet us here."

"He was talking to Brooke, last I saw him," Evan spoke up, still taking hesitant bites of the sushi. He was enjoying it, trying to savour each little bite. "I dunno, though."

"Huh. Okay." He was about to say something else, when a shadow descended over their table.

"Hi, Connor," Michael said cheerfully, without looking up. Evan blinked, glancing up at the shadow's face. Sure enough, it was Connor — he still couldn't understand how Michael could be so casual around him.

"Hi." There was still a vague sense of hostility in his words, but less than yesterday. "Listen. You guys go to rehearsal, don't you?"

"Play rehearsal?" Jeremy asked. "Uhm... yeah. Why?"

"No reason," he replied defensively. "Just... where's it held?"

"The theatre."

"Right. Of course it is." Connor huffed. "Thanks."

"No problem...?" Jeremy still seemed confused as to why he'd been asked, though it seemed obvious enough to Evan. He probably wanted to go, for some reason — he couldn't fathom why, however.

"Okay, well. Thanks again," muttered Connor hesitantly. "Bye."

"Bye, then," Jeremy replied, waving his hand a little to indicate he should leave. Connor's eyes narrowed, but he left as per indication.

As soon as he was out of earshot, Jeremy turned back to both of them. "You think he's actually gonna turn up to rehearsal?"

"Well, yeah. Why else would he ask?" Michael mused out, smiling slightly. "Maybe I should sign up. Do a Jeremy, y'know?"

Laughing, Jeremy kicked him under the table. "You seriously—"

"Shut up, dude. Of course not."

Jeremy raised an eyebrow. "Whatever you say, man."