Chapter Three

When Janea came the next morning to check on my health, I was already lying awake. I had spent most of the night awake, alternating between crying and reaching out for memories that weren't there. She asked how I had slept, and I responded with a simple shrug of my shoulders.

"You need your sleep," she tsked. "You are still recovering, and it may help your mind heal as well."

I didn't respond, or even look at her. I was furious – with Corrin, with Telos, and even with Janea, even though she had shown me such kindness. I was a prisoner there, and she was one of my wardens. She may have been my healer, but she was not my friend. No matter how welcoming or kind she tried to be, she was Corrin's sister, and I could not trust her.

The bed shifted under her weight as she sat. She did not speak, just sat in silence as I continued to stare at the wall. A pleasant scent wafted through the air, and I decided to look up to find the origin. Janea was holding a steaming mug, and based on the smell, I guessed that she had brought me an herbal tea. She looked at me, and despite the smile that she gave me, I could tell by her eyes that something was bothering her. "I prepared this for you," she said, holding out the mug.

I took it from her, the warmth of the tea seeping through the mug and into my hands. I hadn't realized how chilly my room was until I felt that heat. Tentatively, I took a sip, then crinkled my nose at the bitterness of the tea.

Janea gave me an apologetic look. "I know that it's not the most pleasant thing to drink in the morning, but it is specially made to help you feel better."

Not sure of what to say, I nodded my head and took another sip. The second taste wasn't so bad since I was expecting the bitter taste. She was right; the flavor was not pleasant at all, but the warmth spread through my body, and I could feel myself relaxing more.

Still, I did not speak. Janea eventually stood up, saying, "I will be gone for most of today, but I will eat with you this evening. I believe Telos is coming to keep you company in the meantime," before she walked out of the room.

Coming to keep me company, I thought to myself angrily, or to make sure I can't escape?

With Janea out of the room, I set my tea on the nightstand and finally got out of bed. My legs hurt less than they did the day before, though I was still covered with purple bruises. Perhaps I can take advantage of my time with Telos today, I thought. I can ask him about how he found me and see if he knows anything else.

I had discovered the previous night that my door had no lock. I'd considered blocking the door with a chair, like I had the bathroom, but decided against it in case my condition worsened overnight and I needed help. Just because I was angry didn't mean that I couldn't admit I was in need of healing, and allowing Janea access to my room was a necessary evil.

Stretching my sore back, I made my way over to the window and looked outside. I hadn't yet taken the time to examine the view, but what I found was unremarkable. My window overlooked a fenced-in yard, and beyond the fence, I could see a neighboring house. The house was simple – one-story, fairly small, and painted sage green. I couldn't help but wonder whose house it was.

Continuing to look outside, I saw Corrin walk into the yard with a girl I didn't recognize. They were clearly in the midst of a conversation, and at one point, I saw her laugh and place a hand on his upper arm. Perhaps a lover, or just a flirtatious friend? Or did Corrin have a wife that I was yet to meet? As I watched, I thought of just how little I knew about these people. Not people, I reminded myself. Faeries.

My chest tightened as the weight of my new reality set in. I was human, but somehow I had appeared in Faerieland, despite believing that faeries weren't even real. What was worse was that I didn't even remember not believing in faeries; I just knew it. All that I remembered was a name – really, I didn't know whether it was mine – and what Telos said to me when I was rescued. What happened to me?