10 - New Beginnings

A knock on the door awoke me, followed by a soft, tentative call.

"Ellie? Are you awake?"

"I am now," I muttered, sitting up and blinking blearily. I'd slept fitfully, despite my exhaustion, and retained a clear memory of where I was, and why, and with whom. The voice belonged to Luke, who momentarily knocked again.

"Ellie?"

"Just a minute."

I rose stiffly. The room was cold, the window still open, and the bluish light of pre-dawn barely illuminated the world beyond. Ro's bed appeared unslept in, and there was no sign of him.

Rubbing my face, I went to the door and opened it. Luke's dark eyes widened a little at the sight of me, which I'm sure wasn't pretty.

"I'm sorry to bother you so early," he said, his soft voice making me lean a little closer to hear him. "Janelle wants to see you downstairs."

"Right now?"

He nodded.

I sighed. "Okay. Gimme a minute and I'll be down."

"Okay," he said, but didn't move.

I shrugged and gathered my things before heading down the hall to the bathroom to freshen up. Luke trailed after me, and it seemed he meant to stick around until he'd successfully delivered me to Janelle. Fortunately, he had such a quiet, unimposing presence, that I didn't mind.

He was a bit shorter than me, with a trim, compact physique, and he moved with a quiet, surefooted grace that made him an unobtrusive and nonthreatening companion—like a deer grazing peacefully in the woods.

The bathroom had two stalls and two showers, and two sinks side by side. Luke watched as I brushed my teeth and washed my face, and smoothed my hair into something closer to an acceptable shape. Finally, I examined myself in the mirror and frowned disapprovingly.

The person staring back at me had red-rimmed eyes, chapped lips, and a dusting of pale stubble. I needed a shave, and I wished I had my makeup with me.

"You're very pretty," Luke commented, frowning thoughtfully. "You must have many friends."

I snorted with surprise and derision. "You must need glasses," I said, finishing my inspection and collecting my things.

Luke didn't argue, and followed me back to my room without saying more.

We descended to the floor below, and Luke knocked on Janelle and Kyrie's door. Kyrie opened it, thanked Luke for retrieving me, and ushered me inside.

"See ya later, Luke," I said, waving.

His face darkened with a coppery flush, and the tips of his large ears turned red. "See you... Ellie," he whispered, and slipped away back upstairs.

"And I thought I was shy," I said, after Kyrie shut the door.

She smiled. "Luke is a gentle soul, and the loss of his witch was a heavy blow. He did not speak a word for weeks after her death. He is much better now, believe it or not."

She led me into the apartment, showing me to the kitchen and dining area this time. Janelle sat at a circular table on which lay a black velvet cloth and a collection of seemingly random things: candles, crystals, a bowl of water and a bowl of dirt, a feather, a scattering of seeds and pieces of bone, and what looked like a plate of pastries and a pot of tea.

"Hey kid," she said, pushing out a chair for me with her foot. "Sorry for the early wake-up call, but I got a day ahead of me and I wanna get to it. Have a seat."